Help! Canon Service Center Refuses to Give Info

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by erphoto, Feb 17, 2010.

1. erphoto

erphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Canon 1Ds Mark II on ebay. The seller stated that the camera had approximately 9,500 actuations on the camera, and that he had sent it in for service May '09 and that they had cleaned the camera along with updating the software. He stated that the camera had some minor wear and took pictures of said wear.

I received the camera today, it was extremely dirty, and wear was more than minor along with dust on the sensor viewable in the viewfinder and actual actuations exif data is 24,148.

I called Canon to see what the reading was back in May of '09 and they informed me that they had received the camera on a dealers account and that they would not release any information to me. The rep even compared it to medical confidentiality for the canon repair record. All he would tell me was that it had been sent in twice and he could give me no other information.

Nice right?

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    24,000 is nothing and you can't see dust on the sensor through the view finder :confused: what price did you pay ?

3. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

very sorry to hear of your predicament but i think it's quite correct that Canon have that policy. what's the benefit to you of establishing actual activations in May 2009? do you have reasons to doubt the accuracy of the current 24K figure?

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the the shutter life for 1D is at least 100,000. Take a photo of a bright sky or wall with your camera with a small aperture (like F/22) and see if the sensor dust shows up on the image.

5. cirekoy

cirekoy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go back to the seller...threaten to give him negative feedback for misrepresenting his product. A lot of time that prompts e-bay sellers into action, especially if they do it for a business. Before you resort to threats, I'd suggest asking if you can get a refund if you send the camera back, since it wasn't the product you were expecting.

I don't think you can blame canon for being reluctant to release any information. It certainly isn't bank or medical level security, but all companies are a little bit cautious about data security.

6. erphoto

erphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Trust me when I say that I understand that on a camera that is good to 100,000, 24,000 is nothing. However, when you sell something on ebay, or really any site, it's expected that you accurately describe the product. It wouldn't surprise me if the actuations are not actually 24,000 but a lot more. The wear on the camera is not consistent with 24,000 unless they didn't take care of the camera at all.

I just thought it was a bit extreme that they wouldn't tell me ANYTHING about the camera being sent in. I OWN the camera now, I would think that I am privied to knowing what the heck it's been sent in for. Thanks for all your input.

7. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you can see dust on the sensor in the viewfinder? :lmao: How do you see the shutter actuations in EXIF?

8. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No dust on the sensor is every visible in the VF of an SLR, period. Also, no dust visible in the VF of and SLR, film or digital, can every affect the picture. Further, dust on the lens is never visible in the VF except under extreme conditions and then only with a few types of extreme wide angle lenses. Dust on the mirror won't show in either the picture or the VF.

The dust you see in the VF is in the VF, most likely on the focusing screen itself.

9. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Isn't that the Canon EOS 1D series camera put the shutter actuations on the ExIF?

10. erphoto

erphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for clearing that up Dwig. And yes, for the EOS 1d series you can view the actuation count in the ExiF data. (At least according to several items of information online.) And Montana, you might as well have called me a da. thanks.

11. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Do you have to use an EXIF veiwer to see the actuations? I just opened one of my 1DmkIV images in windows and right click to properties and don't see it that way. how do you view it?

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Caveat Emptor. Particularly when buying on eBay.