HELP ~ CAN'T DECIDE WHICH CAMERA IS BEST TO BEGIN WITH

I choose the 50D over the 40D mostly because I liked the better lcd screen. That may not mean a lot to you but it really is easier to check the focus and make sure it is spot on. Im pretty sure the 50D and T1I are pretty much the same except the body is smaller on the T1I and the frames per second are slower. The T1I does have video and Im sure some other differences. You can go to Canons website and compare all there current models.

If I do not have any camera and want to go with Canon system and the budget is $1000.

I will look for Canon 40D body ($600 or less used) and pair it with a Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 ($300 used)

This is EXACTLY what I did... my 40D was $550 used and I got a new Tamron 17-50mm. I'm very happy with my decisions. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to buying lenses and other accessories now that don't improve my skills. :drool:

I am looking at the T2i canon it is a 18megapixle and has some updates to it. reviews i have seen are good. camera labs.com has a lot of reviews that i have read. I use a Nikon at the moment but looking to upgrade to the canon soon.

I bought the T2i about a week and change ago and I love it. Upgraded from an XSi and the difference is noticeable (many things: low-light performance, the *brilliant* LCD, slightly faster burst, fantastic video, etc...)

I'd definitely recommend the T2i to new and semi-pro people. Only thing it doesn't have that the OP might eventually want is the XXD-series burst speeds (the T2i is 3.7fps which still isn't bad). If you want the *BEST* burst go with the 7D -- solid 8fps.

Here's an example of the video (shot this yesterday):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_du8W0MaN3w]YouTube - R6[/ame]

no external mics were used this was the camera's built-in mic.

I don't know if I agree with the posts about buying the best you can afford. . .I have the Canon T1i and really like it, but I can tell that I would upgrade eventually. So, why waste money while I'm learning about photography/technique/composition when I could either use the money on better lenses or a more professional body later? That's just a suggestion I guess. Hope you like whatever you decide on!

Another vote for Pentax. I have a previous generation K100D, and it is awesome. The new ones are presumably even better. Two things to note:

a) Pentax kit lenses are a cut above Canons & Nikons. Better construction, metal mounts, and all glass optics.

b) The anti-shake is body integral, instead of lens integral. This saves you money.

They also feel better in my hand than Canon & Nikon.

Another vote for Pentax. I have a previous generation K100D, and it is awesome. The new ones are presumably even better. Two things to note:

a) Pentax kit lenses are a cut above Canons & Nikons. Better construction, metal mounts, and all glass optics.

b) The anti-shake is body integral, instead of lens integral. This saves you money.

:cheers:

I would say go with the T2i and spend the savings on glass. I have the T1i which I would have recommended but why not get the newest version. The 50d is going to be slightly a nicer grip and also better sealed against dust and the elements. I have a Canon grip on my T1i, and I gotta say, it makes it feel a lot nicer in my hands now than it did before. If I had bought the 50d over my t1i I wouldn't have had the extra cash to experiment with lenses as much.

As for the Pentax recommendation, I have heard and read good things about their cameras, but my only caution for you would be that you are much less likely to find used lenses for a Pentax on places like Craigslist or Ebay than you are for a Canon.

Just my humble opinion.

Here is a sweet deal that was on Fatwallet.com.

Amazon - Canon EOS Rebel T1i 500D EFS 18-55mm IS lens+ Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens + PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II Photo Printer $793 ar
Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
here
$690.99
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens
here
$255.00
Tiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter
here
$12.39
Canon Pixma PRO9000MkII Inkjet Photo Printer (3295B002)
here
$446.95

Sub Total $1,405.33
Shipping & Handling: $37.71
Super Saver Discount: -$37.71
Promotion Applied: -$7.50
Promotion Applied: -$4.89
Promotion Applied: -$200.00
Before Tax: $1,192.94
MIR for PIXMA -$400.00
TOTAL $792.94
I plan on selling the printer for about $300, which should bring the total for the camera + 2 lenses to $493

Claims are that IS/VR/AS whatever in lens is more effective in body.

And it doesn't save a lot of money vs. comparable lenses of other brands. The price difference of a Pentax 300mm f/4 and a Canon 300mm f/4 IS is $130 more for the Canon.

An Olympus 35-70 f/2 (equal to the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS) is actually $400 more than the Canon equivalent.

Here's a thought... go full frame and get a used 1DS or 5D. Don't be distracted by the low megapixel count compared to the newer crop sensor cameras. 11 MPs on a full frame should produce a better image than 15 MPs on a crop.

So Should I get a 40d or 50d with standard lens or t1i with nice lens. and what lens would make it better than a 50d with standard lens?

Here is a sweet deal that was on Fatwallet.com.

Amazon - Canon EOS Rebel T1i 500D EFS 18-55mm IS lens+ Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens + PIXMA Pro 9000 Mark II Photo Printer $793 ar
Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
here
$690.99
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens
here
$255.00
Tiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter
here
$12.39
Canon Pixma PRO9000MkII Inkjet Photo Printer (3295B002)
here
$446.95

Sub Total $1,405.33
Shipping & Handling: $37.71
Super Saver Discount: -$37.71
Promotion Applied: -$7.50
Promotion Applied: -$4.89
Promotion Applied: -$200.00
Before Tax: $1,192.94
MIR for PIXMA -$400.00
TOTAL $792.94
I plan on selling the printer for about $300, which should bring the total for the camera + 2 lenses to $493

All the links say invalid....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back