Help choosing a camera.

Nickanoor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I am completely new to this forum and photography. I was hoping a few of you could give your opinions on a good camera. I know cameras can range from a few hundred to many thousands so this is the kind of thing I'm looking to be able to produce. Things along these lines:

http://evanseguin.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/bugs/flowers-32-3.jpg

http://www.crazy-frankenstein.com/f...wallpapers/nature-windows-vista-wallpaper.jpg

http://www.momorialcards.com/images/golden_autumn_tree.jpg

Beautiful ones like that. Don't get me wrong, I know it takes years to hone the ability to take shots like that. I'm just asking what kind of camera I should get to replicate shots like those.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not looking for cameras with video so no hybrids. Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
~Nick

Ok so before everyone starts repeatedly smashing you over the head:meh:.....

Any camera can produce "those kind of images". It truly is the photographers not the camera.

If your starting out get an entry level DSLR. The camera is less important then the lenses.

I think it is better to set your budget first.

Well that's a good point Dao. And thanks for the corrective criticism Opher I'll remember that. See the thing is, I have around $1500 that I can spend on one, and I'd like it to be around that price. I'm looking for a way to produce shots like those. What kinds of lenses and things would be best? I don't want a beginner camera necessarily because I don't have a job at the moment. So buying this one will be it for quite a while.

Dao, also looking at a few of your recent pictures, those are the type of shots I hope to produce. Once again, I am completely new, so talking like:

- 40D
- EF 100mm f/2.8
- 1/200
- f/16
- ISO100

confuses the crap out of me. ha. Sorry for my noobiness.

Last edited:
Ok i shoot Canon so thats what i know about... If you want nikon talk to someone that is not me.

Here is what i would suggest.

Canon T1I

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS

If i where to buy my first gear all over again thats what i would get.

The L in the lens name means its a higher quality lens.(for Canon ONLY)

Oh and for the first pic you would need a macro lens.

Hope it helps

Well that's a good point Dao. And thanks for the corrective criticism Opher I'll remember that. See the thing is, I have around $1500 that I can spend on one, and I'd like it to be around that price. I'm looking for a way to produce shots like those. What kinds of lenses and things would be best? I don't want a beginner camera necessarily because I don't have a job at the moment. So buying this one will be it for quite a while.

Dao, also looking at a few of your recent pictures, those are the type of shots I hope to produce. Once again, I am completely new, so talking like:

- 40D
- EF 100mm f/2.8
- 1/200
- f/16
- ISO100

confuses the crap out of me. ha. Sorry for my noobiness.

Just giving you a bit of info on your confuses the crap out of me section.:D

- 40D -Camera model (not all that important)
- EF 100mm f/2.8 - lens used (slightly more important but meh)
- 1/200 -Shutter speed
- f/16 -your f stop (controls Depth Of Field "Blur")
- ISO100 -sensitivity (just like film, higher means more grain but less light is needed for the image)

Hope that was helpfull

EDIT: sorry all for the double post:waiting:

Those don't look bad at all but I don't know much lol. That kind of goes past my price range though. Is that all that I will need? No other lenses? Accessories, etc? And I appreciate the help!

And that was extremely helpful, thank you!

That kind of goes past my price range though. Is that all that I will need? No other lenses? Accessories, etc? And I appreciate the help!

As you go you tend to determine more what you need. The lens i suggested has a fairly large focal range (about double most kit lenses).

as you work with your gear you will want new lenses maybe a extra wide/telephoto or a flash unit. Just build it up as you go.

In terms of the cost. You could get a lower quality lens but honestly L is the way to go. I get to rent them from my school and at some point will get me one.

That kind of goes past my price range though. Is that all that I will need? No other lenses? Accessories, etc? And I appreciate the help!

As you go you tend to determine more what you need. The lens i suggested has a fairly large focal range (about double most kit lenses).

as you work with your gear you will want new lenses maybe a extra wide/telephoto or a flash unit. Just build it up as you go.

In terms of the cost. You could get a lower quality lens but honestly L is the way to go. I get to rent them from my school and at some point will get me one.

Wow you're extremely lucky haha. If I get that, I'd have to sell something I have now. Hmm..... I was told that hybrid cameras tend to produce lower quality stills. Um, so should I just get a pure photo-camera? As for the lens, once again, I'm extremely new to this, so do you think it'd be fairly easy for me to understand?

Okay Opher, after re-calculating my funds, I will still have $700.00 left after buying that camera & lens. I have approximately $2400 and I'm going to Texas in two weeks so I want to try to get it by then. Um, also I'll need a bit of spending money as I'll be there for a month. Is that your set-up? Because I really want some beautiful pics while I'm in Texas. My biggest concern is, will I be pleased with the $1700 dollar price tag?

I was told that hybrid cameras tend to produce lower quality stills. Um, so should I just get a pure photo-camera? As for the lens, once again, I'm extremely new to this, so do you think it'd be fairly easy for me to understand?

I don't think the video ability hinders it at all. I could be wrong but mer.

A slr can operate is full auto and it makes it "like a normal camera":grumpy:

But to get the affects you want you will need to use a bunch of different settings(avalible on all SLR's). A book many people here suggest is "understanding exposer" i dont personally have a copy but it seems to be a vary useful tool.

It may take some time but you will get around all the controls

EDIT:

Okay Opher, after re-calculating my funds, I will still have $700.00 left after buying that camera & lens. I have approximately $2400 and I'm going to Texas in two weeks so I want to try to get it by then. Um, also I'll need a bit of spending money as I'll be there for a month. Is that your set-up? Because I really want some beautiful pics while I'm in Texas. My biggest concern is, will I be pleased with the $1700 dollar price tag?

my set up cost me about 2500 ish 5500 if you include the 5D MKII osap is going to buy me :p. But most of my lenses kinda suck and i got a lot of my gear used

EDIT2:

I am off for now if you have more questions i will get back to you tonight.
Oh and welcome the TPF:er:

Last edited:
I would say get a Nikon D90 from Amazon. If you get a Canon get that there also. It is under a thousand and you will have money left to pick out a lense or two. The reason I say D90 because I know many people who love the qaulity and ease of taking it place and not being too big. I have checked around and that will be my next camera. If you get a Nikon don't get one that takes only DX lenses.

Do you have any shots from the Nikon that I can check out? Or a lens preference? I really need a lot of info since I'm new, and especially since I'll be spending so much. Thanks for the comment!

Do you have any shots from the Nikon that I can check out? Or a lens preference? I really need a lot of info since I'm new, and especially since I'll be spending so much. Thanks for the comment!

As Opher said, any current dSLR will produce the images you want. But for crying out loud, you don't have a job and you are spending $1500 on a camera and then you upped your budget to $2400? In Canada, the 24-105 L sells for about $1500 before tax and even if you can get it used, it will be over $1000. Are you looking at doing photography professionally? You need to know up front, there is no cheap solution to do everything you'll ever want your camera to do. Start with a good basic kit and build from there... over time as you need it.

As Opher said, any current dSLR will produce the images you want. But for crying out loud, you don't have a job and you are spending $1500 on a camera and then you upped your budget to $2400? In Canada, the 24-105 L sells for about $1500 before tax and even if you can get it used, it will be over $1000. Are you looking at doing photography professionally? You need to know up front, there is no cheap solution to do everything you'll ever want your camera to do. Start with a good basic kit and build from there... over time as you need it.

I am going on vacation for a month so NO I don't have a job at the moment. Hands down, I need some money for while I'm on vacation, and I have $2400 to spend for the vacation AND the camera. Not just the camera. I wouldn't mind going into photography or doing it as a hobby. I love photography but just never had the money to get into it. So just wondering, would this:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T2i-Digital-3-0-Inch-18-55mm/dp/B0035FZJHQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279485378&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS…[/ame]

produce better quality pictures since it has 3 more mp than the other one? And would it be worth buying?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back