Help choosing a camera

jisel2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to photography. I want to purchase an inexpensive camera that will be good for both still pictures (photo shoots, events, etc) and shooting videos. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

1) What is your budget?
2) What sort of camera would you like? Does it have to be small and compact? Do you want a DSLR? Are you okay with switching lenses?
3) If you do want a DSLR, do you want different lenses?
4) Are you at all interested in, or willing to, pay for and learn to use photo editing software on your computer?
5) What is your intended use with this camera? Photo shoots, events, and shooting videos entails a lot of things. Is this for hobby photography?
6) Are you at all willing to learn how to use the camera? Primarily this means learning how to set your shutter speed, ISO, and aperture values (knowing how these manage your exposure, and how each component influences the final image).

If you aren't interested in using photo software, and you don't want to learn how to use the camera, then a GoPro plus something like a Nikon CoolPix P900 might be a good combination.

If you are interested in learning all the ins and outs, there are lots of DSLR options, and again that comes down to budget and what lenses you can afford within that budget.

1) What is your budget?
2) What sort of camera would you like? Does it have to be small and compact? Do you want a DSLR? Are you okay with switching lenses?
3) If you do want a DSLR, do you want different lenses?
4) Are you at all interested in, or willing to, pay for and learn to use photo editing software on your computer?
5) What is your intended use with this camera? Photo shoots, events, and shooting videos entails a lot of things. Is this for hobby photography?
6) Are you at all willing to learn how to use the camera? Primarily this means learning how to set your shutter speed, ISO, and aperture values (knowing how these manage your exposure, and how each component influences the final image).

If you aren't interested in using photo software, and you don't want to learn how to use the camera, then a GoPro plus something like a Nikon CoolPix P900 might be a good combination.

If you are interested in learning all the ins and outs, there are lots of DSLR options, and again that comes down to budget and what lenses you can afford within that budget.

My budget is 500ish.
I'm not sure of the camera but it doesn't have to be compact. Not sure what DSLR is but I am okay with switching lenses.
I can pay for and learn to use photo editing if need be.
My intended use is all of what you mentioned (everyday picture taking, photo shoots, events, shooting videos, etc
I my intent is to definitely learn how to use the camera.

My budget is 500ish.
I'm not sure of the camera but it doesn't have to be compact. Not sure what DSLR is but I am okay with switching lenses.
My intended use is all of what you mentioned (everyday picture taking, photo shoots, events, shooting videos, etc

The Canon T6 comes in at about $500 new with a kit lens. (The T6i and T6s are more expensive).

It's difficult to give advice at the $500 budget point. Purchasing a DSLR isn't really a buy it once and you're done sort of thing. If you truly are going to use a DSLR, and build your skills, you will without a doubt end up wanting another lens at some point. The price-point of lenses can vary quite dramatically. There are "affordable" options, depending on what sort of lens you might want:
- If you want to get that blurry background effect, you might want a 17-50mm f2.8 lens, for a faster aperture. Or, you might want to pick up a prime lens. Depending on the lens you choose, you're looking at between $120 and $500.
- If you want to shoot wildlife or from *VERY* far away, Tamron and Sigma offer 150-600mm lenses, at around the $1000 USD price point.
- If you want to shoot very wide, Canon offers a great 10-18mm lens with image stabilization built in. (About $220 or so).

My budget is 500ish.
DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. It is the type of construction where the body can accept many different lenses, which to a hobbyist is just fun. When the photographer looks through the viewfinder, he is actually seeing what the lens sees, and so is able to compose his photograph quickly and accurately.

The next type down from that is "mirrorless", meaning nearly everything is the same as with a DSLR, except that the viewfinder is displaying an electronic image of what the lens sees. These are somewhat smaller and lighter than DSLRs.

I think all of the above-mentioned types will do video, some better than others, and of course there is the option of just a video camera, some of which will generate a still image from a video clip, but you don't get choices of how the photograph will look.

There are some free editing softwares available, and some to purchase, and one type that you "rent", which means you pay $10 a month for as long as you want to use it. This deal will get you Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop, which is the powerhouse of editing softwares.

Lumix FZ300
shoots 4k
has a nice flexible lens
you don't need a DSLR at this point

Nikon p900.

Best bang for the buck is still DSLRs. You get large powerful sensors, quite sophisticated and powerful autofocus systems, an optical viewfinder and good controls for very cheap. The only cost is that these cameras are larger and heavier. Of course 500$ means you only get the cheapest DSLR and the cheapest kitlens, but thats already more powerful than any compacts.

About a camera thats good for both pictures and video: such a beast doesnt exist. Either a camera is great for pictures and also offers video, or vice versa. Thats simply how the companies do them. However almost all of todays picture taking cameras can also do video.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back