Help choosing a Medium Format camera

paintlover70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a medium format camera.
Soooooo, I am looking for any suggestions / recommendations that other boardies might have.

:D

An additional query.........would a camera that uses 620 film be considered a medium format camera???

My advice:
They're all good. The more expensive it is, the better... usually.

620 is medium format too.

If you like one that feels like a big SLR, I like my pentax 645. Going between the pentax 645 and another SLR (especially an older 35mm pentax) requires no context switch in my mind.

I also enjoy my pentax 6x7 with Mirror lock up. Nice BIG negative. Built like a tank and an overgrown Spotmatic. Originally built as a field camera but I wouldn't necessarily go backpacking with it. Handhold is possible but tripod is almost alway necessary.

I almost acquired a Hasselblad 500c/m with an 80mm planer lens. Felt really nice and was within reach of my budget but the backs required some work. Never shot with it although I find a prism finder most useful for general use.

I used Hasselblad and Mamiya RB/RZ's for many years prior to going digital. I found the Mamiya's better simply because of the rectangular format. [Hasselblad is square] In this country [Australia] most pro's used Mamiya's because, even though a heavy camera, they are very durable and have a multitude of lenses and accessories. The 620 size is medium format, but I don't know any professional medium format that takes that size film.

Everyone is going to say to use what they have used because they are familier with them. I will have to say that I am not going to be the exception to that rule... this is my second Mamiya 645, the first being the basic m645 and now the TL Pro. I would say to save you from buying a second camera eventually try and go with (if you go with Mamiya) the Super, Pro, or TL Pro and heres why. The previous versions will be cheaper but they do not have removable backs and as good of a powerwinder/grip. The TL Pro is a fabulous camera! In fact the few Mamiya MF cameras I have played around with were all fabulous!...

As far as film you will be better off sticking with 120/220 film instead of 620 for the reason stated above. 120/220 is easily bought at just about any photo store and will work in a variety of cameras.

Welcome to the MF world!

620 film is still available, it is a little pricey and you will probably have to order it. ( Spool differences between 120/220 and 620 )

The difference between 620 and 120 is in the size of the flange neccessary to turn the spool. The 620 flange is very small, and will spin without catching in the end of a 120 spool.

Many 620 cameras only require that the take up spool be 620 sized, so you could actually load the camera with 120, as long as you have an empty 620 for the take up side. Just make sure you get your 620 spool back if you are taking it to the lab for processing.

I have seen people make 620 cameras completely 120 compatable just by crimping or super gluing a small piece of metal to the existing flange, making it larger.

We can list all the medium format cameras ever made, there are a lot of decent ones, but to made a good recommendation we need to know what the photog's requirements are.

What's the main use/subject?
Other uses/subjects?
What is the budget?
Is the photog using a tripod, or will it be mainly used hand held?
Are interchangable film backs required?
Does it need an in-camera metering system?
Does it need auto-exposure modes?

The more info about the photographer's wants, needs, style, etc... the better.

ksmattfish said:
What's the main use/subject?
Other uses/subjects?
What is the budget?
Is the photog using a tripod, or will it be mainly used hand held?
Are interchangable film backs required?
Does it need an in-camera metering system?
Does it need auto-exposure modes?

The more info about the photographer's wants, needs, style, etc... the better.
Another question would be do you want the capability to get a digital back in the future or would you be happy with an older possibly used camera that opens up a much larger list of cameras. I know the old standbys for wedding photographers are Bronica ETRSi wich is what I have and is 645 this is a great workhorse and takes abuse and comes out still working great and the other wedding standby is Hasselblad wich are 6X6 and much more expensive. And oh yeah the guy that suggested a Mamiya RB as a studio camera that would be a great choice but if you plan on doing any hand-held for an extensive pieriod of time unless you are a real muscleman you wont be carrying that camera around for too long.

Most reactions

Back