Help choosing camera. 1000$ budget

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by upper, Jun 28, 2008.

1. upper

upper TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    what's the best that i can get for 1000$ or less?
    i'm looking for dslr camera
    lens that is sharp/can do macro shot/ long range shot.
    and any other accessory that i need.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

With $1000 or less budget, I would say go out and try few of the low end DSLR cameras and see which one feel the best in your hand.

I will say spend less on the Camera body and use the rest of the budget for the lens or flash

3. frXnz kafka

frXnz kafka TPF Noob!

For a bit more ($1170 or something like that) you could get a Canon 40D with a 28-135mm, which will do decent macro and long range.

4. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would definitely suggest one of the lower end Nikons and then use the rest on a quality lens. I have found the lens makes far more of a difference then the camera body.

5. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I second Dao's remarks, spend less on the body and more on the glass.

6. frXnz kafka

frXnz kafka TPF Noob!

What would recommend? For $1000 you're not going to get L glass, or any fancy Nikon glass AND a body. The 40D is hard to beat right now ($200 rebate).

Ok, there's an exception to that. If you get an XT and a 17-40mm f/4L or 70-200mm f/4L. The 17-40mm doesn't meet any of the conditions he set, so that's out. The 70-200mm f/4L would be a good option, but you're fairly limited in what you can shoot with that. If you KNOW you're never going to need anything wider than 70mm (which would probably don't know, if this is your first dSLR) then go with this. Otherwise, 40D it is.

7. penfold1

penfold1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I did not realize the 70-200mm L lens existed for such a price! Thanks for mentioning that I may need to start saving for it.

8. Dao

Yes, the 70-200mm F4L is less than $600 in most places. It is currently US$560 shipped from Adorama.

I recently was able to try the IS F2.8 version in my friend's 1Ds and what a big different from the much cheaper Canon lenses that I have. (BIG different in Camera as well)

The L lenses that he had are a lot quieter and smoother, not to mention the image quality. And after playing with it for few minutes, I can see why they cost more. But holding the 1Ds with the L lens attached for awhile, I can see why my friend need a monopod.

9. upper

upper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    XTi Rebel Body
    50mm f/1.8(will i need a wider lens? how big is 50mm?) i heard it was good
    sigma AF 70-300mm APO macro lens
    and
    A 20$ tripod

10. penfold1

penfold1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the XTi and I use the 50mm as a walk round lens. I wish it was a little wider, with the 'magnification' (really just cropping) of the xti, the 50mm becomes larger actually.

But, the 50mm is very suitable if you do not desire a wide lens. I currently use it for everything right now. You really cant beat it for the price.

About the tripod, I also use a cheap one. It was only $30 shipped from a company called amvona.
    They sell a lot on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=amvona

It is very nice for the price!! And they have really good customer service.

11. Dao

The Sigma AF 70-300mm APO macro lens is okay lens. Nothing really stand out. The Canon 55-250mm EF-S IS lens maybe better (if the extra range is not that critical) But it is $280 at Adorama

For me, the 50mm f/1.8 is pretty sharp for the price. But personally, I think it is not wide enough. But I still like it a lot.

Also, Tamron AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di LD seems to be pretty good for the price. Adorama sell it for $289 after rebate

But $280 + $290 is equal to $570 already. That leave you $430 for the camera.

For me personally, I will get the camera body and the Tamron AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di LD $290 or Tamron SP AF 17 - 50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD $420 and save more for a good telephoto zoom such as the Canon 70-200mm F4 L $600 and add a 105mm Sigma prime later. But since the 50mm f1.8 is so cheap, so I need to get that as well.:lol:

12. upper

upper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think that's more than i could afford. and i wanted the telephoto and the macro. dont know what's so bad about it.