Help Choosing Gift

adamneely

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I've been looking around the forums a few days and just decided to join! I don't know much about photography, my only experience is my Old Film Canon EOS and with my different iPhones (not really photography, but convenient haha). But my question isn't for me, its for my girlfriend.

She just recently got her Uncle's Canon D40 and (what I think is) the kit lens for it (Canon 28mm-135mm Image Stabilization). She has only been playing with it for a few weeks now but I think she might have a little bit of talent (and I promise thats not just the boyfriend in me speaking haha). Her birthday is coming up in Sept. and I wanted to get her something for her camera. I'm already paying for a vacation with her and my family so I don't have much to spend, preferably 50ish dollars. That cuts out me getting her a lens, but she has been saying she wants a CP or a tripod. I have no idea what makes either a good product so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get something that is quality in my price range, and if anyone could give me some good places to order it from?

Much thanks and I look forward to looking through the fourms more and learning from all ya'll during the times that my girl is willing to share her 'baby' with me. I plan on getting a good camera one day soon after I get my car paid off so maybe I'll be around here even longer!

Gift card for MPIX printing?

I still have a birthday gift to cash in from my wife. A chance to have one of my photos printed up and gallery wrapped...

Mpix.com - Gallery Wraps

My problem is that I can't seem to decide on a photo worthy of such nice treatment.

At least for me.. there's something nice about having a print.

I actually looked around craigslist and found a nice new toy for me that would also help her, but unfortunately the poster isn't responding to my emails. I did see some good deals on there so I'll keep looking! Thanks for all the advice ya'll, and I found the recommended book list so I may find something from in there to get her.

You've been given some great ideas already. The mpix gift card for some prints is a great idea. I also like the idea of books like Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. Another idea I had was a nice camera strap. I use one from Blackrapid.com. They're a bit expensive and many would like them as a gift I would think.

Thanks for the more ideas! I have another question, what do ya'll think of the GorillaPod? I've read great things about them and the highest capacity is only 55 bucksish and holds up to 6.6 pounds. It also looks like it would fit in her camera bag or purse while we are out and about.

I like the idea, but I'd be leary of using them w/ a DSLR and a lens that had any significant weight or cost associated with it. I think they'd be wonderful for a P+S though.

Hey everyone! I've been looking around the forums a few days and just decided to join! I don't know much about photography, my only experience is my Old Film Canon EOS and with my different iPhones (not really photography, but convenient haha). But my question isn't for me, its for my girlfriend.

She just recently got her Uncle's Canon D40 and (what I think is) the kit lens for it (Canon 28mm-135mm Image Stabilization). She has only been playing with it for a few weeks now but I think she might have a little bit of talent (and I promise thats not just the boyfriend in me speaking haha). Her birthday is coming up in Sept. and I wanted to get her something for her camera. I'm already paying for a vacation with her and my family so I don't have much to spend, preferably 50ish dollars. That cuts out me getting her a lens, but she has been saying she wants a CP or a tripod. I have no idea what makes either a good product so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get something that is quality in my price range, and if anyone could give me some good places to order it from?

Much thanks and I look forward to looking through the fourms more and learning from all ya'll during the times that my girl is willing to share her 'baby' with me. I plan on getting a good camera one day soon after I get my car paid off so maybe I'll be around here even longer!

boyfriend gifts are really important for girls, they love to say, "thanks its my boyfriends gift he bought it for me." This is why, you should buy something that she will admire that she can show off if she ever needs too. I think the best thing you should do is, go to a store where they sell canons and take a look at the accessories they have there and purchase what ever fits your price range.

Most reactions

Back