help chosing an slr?

java82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which camera for longevity? ?

Ok so im starting college for photography soon so im buying my 1st slr camera since my 35mm minolta
(no i dont want a sony only had 1 lense not worth it)
ok so i like the d80 but no stabilization & i dont know what one of these lenses will set me back?
i also like the d90 but its expensive so i dont know if its better to go d80 & use the extra $ on lenses?
ok & last the most important part of my question once i go pro & upgrade my camera will i be able to use all the lenses i invested in?
thank you for all your help

ps the guy the camera shop mentioned hes a cannon guy & i liked the cannons as well but he didnt have much of a reason so do you think i should just smash the nikon idea & go cannon

thanks for the help :hail:

The d80/90 line are already the middle of the road. They are a line above the entrance level dslr's and have plenty of options and room to grow. I think extra money for lenses is the way to go because you will find you never have enough lenses.

As far as image stabilized lenses, I believe all canon's and nikons do not have stabilization on camera but only on the lenses. Yes, the IS/VR (canon/nikon) adds more cost to the lens.

I have a canon so I will use their lenses for reference. Canon makes EF lenses and EF-S lenses. The EF-S lenses are optimized to work only with the crop sensor bodies. They will not work with the full frame bodies. the EF lenses work on both crop sensor and full frame bodies. If by going "pro" you mean upgading to a full frame camera, then only invest in the universal style lens, EF and not EF-S (and no DX, i believe DX on a nikon lens means its for crop sensors only? not sure). But again, a good quality lens usually has a high resale value so you may not loose too much if you do want a DX/EF-S lens.

I'm not entirely sure about the nikon/canon debate. I've heard many things. I've heard that canon has better lenses. I've heard canon's are a bit slower so good for still life, landscape and city scape where nikon's are good for action? But i've heard otherwise as well. Try searching the forum for this topic as it comes up quite often.

I hope all this helps out. If anyone notices any inaccuracies, especially WRT nikon, please correct.

Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back