Help: Company wants my photos.

just ask them to print your name on the pics, if you'd ask them for an special amount it would be a bit "strange" (I mean you're 16 and no pro, right?)
don't be shy, your pics, your right to make promotion, let the world know you're Arty :D

Hehe :) Guess I may aswell...but also...wont they just say "If we have to do that...no thanks" and I would have lost the oppertunity.

c'mon, just tell them you're a young ambitioned photographer and that you want some good reputation and thats it. You help them, they help you. I think they won't reject your suggestion. But it's up to you bro. :D

Ill have to go for it....*sigh* I hope I do it....Knowing my luck this girl I fancy will walk by at the same time.

Me: "hello id like to just.." girl walks by and smiles "um....no price...free...gift....autography...pi..c.ture....ok?"

Artemis said:
I'm confused, and I don't know what kind of company Marks and Spencer is.

Marks and spencer is as big as apple pie, in the UK anywho.
People come from other countries sometimes to visit a marks and spencer store.

Its as big as Tesco, and bigger than Co Op, but its only in the UK.

It is based in the UK but they have a wide network in Europe, Middle East and Asia.

First off, congrats!

Second, there are so many ways they could do this that it's hard to give specific advice. It sounds like they want to do "for hire" work, in which case they would pay you to take the pics and then they get complete rights to the images. You don't even get to put your name on them and you can't use them on your own web-site. M&S would own them as if they took them. This is how many companies work when hiring for specific jobs.

Another way to go is to sell them usage rights. You would still own the copyright and they get to use the prints in a very specfic way layed down in the contract. This is how stock photography works.

They have their plusses and minuses. In "for hire", you lose rights, but the pay scale is often in several thousand dollars for a job compared to a few hundred (if you are really lucky) for the rights to use a stock photo.

Your best bet is to do some reading based on where you live. The laws in the US will be different (and also vary state to state). I'm not sure how things work in the UK. To be blunt, a bulletin board is not a good place to get legal advice.

ksmattfish said:
I'm confused, and I don't know what kind of company Marks and Spencer is.

Are you dealing with the entire company or a single store?

Are you trying to get them to use your photos as sort of a mutual promotion? Their frames and your photos? Then obviously your name and contact info needs to be displayed somewhere.

Or are you just selling them the right to use your images in their sales promotion. In which case you should get paid, but it's unlikely that you'll get your name, etc... posted.

Tell me more about what is going on, and what you want to get out of it.

From what my UK friends tell me, they are like the Abercrombie of the UK.

markc said:
First off, congrats!

Second, there are so many ways they could do this that it's hard to give specific advice. It sounds like they want to do "for hire" work, in which case they would pay you to take the pics and then they get complete rights to the images. You don't even get to put your name on them and you can't use them on your own web-site. M&S would own them as if they took them. This is how many companies work when hiring for specific jobs.

Another way to go is to sell them usage rights. You would still own the copyright and they get to use the prints in a very specfic way layed down in the contract. This is how stock photography works.

They have their plusses and minuses. In "for hire", you lose rights, but the pay scale is often in several thousand dollars for a job compared to a few hundred (if you are really lucky) for the rights to use a stock photo.

Your best bet is to do some reading based on where you live. The laws in the US will be different (and also vary state to state). I'm not sure how things work in the UK. To be blunt, a bulletin board is not a good place to get legal advice.

You have a point there...Ta for the info...and to carry on...no new news on whats going on, and I dont think im getting paid.

If we have to do that...no thanks" and I would have lost the oppertunity.

if they DON'T do that... the only person who would know that the pictures are yours is YOU, and theres no gain, unless you stand infront of them and tell people. no recognition=wasted effort.

Most reactions

Back