PhotoDim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photodima.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a relatively small and lightweight travel tripod+head. This will be for a Canon 40D + EF 24-105mm f/4L setup. I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Manfrotto 7302YB Aluminum with Ball Head = $115

or

Smith Victor CF300 Carbon Fiber with Ball Head = $180

My budget is around $120-180.

I realize that carbon fiber is preferred to aluminum. Both tripods have 4 leg sections. The Manfrotto supports a maximum load of 7.72 lbs while the Smith Victor supports 8.8 lbs. Also, the Smith Victor ends to 64" while the Manfrotto has a maximum height of 56." Not sure how much of an advantage this will be, but the Manfrotto does have an advantage in terms of folded length - 20" versus 24.7" for the Smith Victor.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Go with the Manfrotto. And if it's not a Manfrotto, than a Gitzo is fine.

i like the twist lock feature on the legs... Ive never shopped for a tripod...im actually searching for them right now, and i like that smith vector one.

Gitzo > Manfrotto are pretty much good quality across their line.

Outside of those two; I would consider Velbon (lower end) and perhaps Benbo (still deciding my opinion on those). I used to also recommend Giottos as an lower cost alternative but I had a camera almost take a big fall when their quick release plate separated from the ball head. Kinda left a bad taste...

I have smith victor light stands... For the price (cheap), they are very well made. I am happy with them. One of them does have an air valve that's not working.. oh well.

Don't let the use of carbon in tripods attract you... look at the overall design. Often carbon is added give the look of quality/lightweight and to drive sales but in the end the design itself doesn't lend well. If you look at the tripods you linked, the manfrotto folds shorter, has similar max capacity, and is slightly lighter. The only concern is the max height of the manfrotto with the center column down... Is it ok for you?

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a relatively small and lightweight travel tripod+head. This will be for a Canon 40D + EF 24-105mm f/4L setup. I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Manfrotto 7302YB Aluminum with Ball Head = $115

or

Smith Victor CF300 Carbon Fiber with Ball Head = $180

My budget is around $120-180.

I realize that carbon fiber is preferred to aluminum. Both tripods have 4 leg sections. The Manfrotto supports a maximum load of 7.72 lbs while the Smith Victor supports 8.8 lbs. Also, the Smith Victor ends to 64" while the Manfrotto has a maximum height of 56." Not sure how much of an advantage this will be, but the Manfrotto does have an advantage in terms of folded length - 20" versus 24.7" for the Smith Victor.

Thanks for the help/advice.

I have no experience with either of these particular pods (although I have a Manfrotto Monopod which I love) but ...

How tall are you? That height difference may be important if you are a tall person.

Being able to collapse short may make it able to fit in carry-on luggage.

What is the actual weight difference between the two pods?

Now I'm considering something that is more expensive but may be worthwhile (and of higher quality)

Manfrotto 190XB Legs (3-section) + Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head

Legs = $130
Head = $60
Total = $190

What do you guys think? I presume its superior to the Manfrotto 7302YB I was considering earlier.

Also, do you think its worth it to pay $15 more to get the 190XPROB with the horizontal center column?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back