HELP!!! Do I buy the 400mm 2.8 prime or not?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a serious quandry on my hands, and I would really appreciate some unbiased input. I'm slowly working on building up gadget bag with quality gear, and on return from my current deployment, had finally decided which new 'daily' lens to buy: The Nikkor 24-70 f2.8.

I now have a chance to get a Nikkor 400mm f2.8 - the holy grail of long Nikon primes for $3700. It's about eight years old, so no VR, but that's not a big deal to me. It's got a few scuffs on the finish, but is reportedly mechanically and optically perfect (it would be inspected closely before purchse).

So, the question is, do I buy it or not? Because of house renos that are ongoing I can't really afford to buy the 400 and the 24-70, and while I would use the 24-70 every day, the 400 would not get used all that often. HOWEVER, when you need a 400mm, nothing else will do. This is the first used one in my area in about three years.

So, do I buy it because it's there and limp along with my poor old 18-70 f3.5/4.5 kit lens for another 6-12 months, or do I let it go and get the glass that I will use every day, and figure that another of these will come along eventually?

HELP!!!!!!!!!

If it will earn you your daily bread - and the decission given to me to decide, than yes I will take them. In the end of the day everythings depend on the money in your pocket.

well to me and the way you've posted it sounds like this is going to be your second lens

and dropping that much money into a prime lens which is only your second ever lens seems a very big investment for something you may not use all that often

No, I'm well past my second lens; it's a choice between getting a replacement daily-use lens (the 24-70 2.8) or the the 400, which, granted wouldn't get used nearly as often, BUT is something I want for birding/nature work. The only reason I'm even entertaining it is because these come on the used market so rarely (at least in my area) that it seems foolish to let it go.

I guess another way to put the question is: "Is this a bargain I can afford to pass up?"

Which lenses do you currently own? If you don't have a long telephoto (200mm+), then I'd recommend the 400 2.8. Sure, if you got the 24-70 it would be much better than your 18-70, but at least you have that kind of focal range.

I would say go for it and grab the 400mm wile it is there. I love my 400mm 5.6 (Canon mount). I did not think I had too much use for it when I was looking at buying it but went a head wile I had the opertunity. I'm glad I did, I'm still finding new uses for it and use it quite frequently, almost daily.

Tough decision... between daily use and a rare opportunity...

It's up to how you feel about it, so I can only tell you what I'd have done.

I'd go for the much more useful Nikkor 24-70 f2.8.

I can well understand your craving for the 400, but how much use will it
really have?

Personally, I'd give up a bit of quality (really not much), and later get a
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1.7 Tele Converter.
This, I think, would see much more use than the 400, for me at least.
With the TC it gets to within 60mm from the 400mm, which is quite near,
and it's much more versatile.

I say get whatever YOU want. How do a bunch of strangers on an online forum know what is best for you???.

Isn't that bigamy ? ;)
Not in Utah... lol

To the OP, I say... do what you want to do. No one can help with this more than you yourself.

Pay for one, slap the other on the plastic if you want them both that bad.

get the long lens.
i look at it this way (from the way you wrote your post) you are going to get the 24-70 either way. be it now or in 6-12 months... however you either get the long lens now, potentially never, or in a much longer time frame (as used ones dont pop up often)
i would get the 400, suffer for 6-12 months and then get the other, and have both.

This is a fairly specialized lens; honestly ask yourself, 'how much use is this going to get; am I buying it just because I can?'
Holy grail? Nah; plastic and glass...

If the 400mm prime is a rare buy, then grab it while you can. You just may find some great use for it once you get out and start shooting with it. The 24-70mm will always be on the store shelf when you can afford it too. Might even be cheaper by then too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back