Help finding a lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by qazwsx, Nov 27, 2008.

1. qazwsx

qazwsx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I'm about to buy a canon 40D (my first dslr), and if anyone could give me some advice on what all-around lens to buy. I'm looking to take wildlife, people and travel photography, along with sports to a lesser extent. I'm looking to spend 600 max. Thank you for your help.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    600 what? £$?
    what currency you are dealing with will greatly affect your options 0 also is that 600 for the lens alone or for the camera as well?

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion would be the EF-S 17-85mm IS lens. It's a good 'all-around' lens for this format of camera.

It isn't really the best for sports or wildlife, especially when the light isn't good...but it might be good enough.

If you want to give up some on the wide angle end, you might consider the EF 28-135mm IS lens. It gives you more reach but not as wide of a view.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know which 'kit lens' comes with the 40D, but it's probably better than the one that came with my 350D.

The reason it is the "kit lens" is that it's a good all around lens... ;) They are usually not the best quality though (they're not bad, but they're not great either). If you want better quality, look for a higher end lens in the same focal lengths. I'm not really sure exactly which lens that would be, I use primes almost exclusively (70-200 f/4L is the exception). If you want primes, I would suggest the 50 1.4 & 85 1.8...

5. qazwsx

qazwsx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for your help. I have $600 to spend on a lens.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. Warren_G

Warren_G TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I bought my 40D, there was the option to get the 18-55 lens kit or a 17-85 IS lens kit. The difference in price was a couple hundred so I got the 17-85. It has been a good all-purpose lens. If you had a $600 budget, get the 17-85 and then an f1.4 50mm, chances are you are going to get one at some point, so you might as well start off with one of the cheapest, yet sharpest and most popular lenses there is. This will probably leave you a bit under budget so you could put a good quality UV filter on both of them. Just my 2 cents...

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just became aware that at my local camera store, a kit with a 50D and 17-85mm is only $220 more than the body only. So $220 for the lens is a pretty sweet deal.

8. lextalionis

lextalionis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh man, if you could just double your budget...for sports, wildlife, anything outdoor save the bank and your arms and look into the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

This lens will take you "picture IQ" places you've never been before ;-) Here's somethings to think about...though the 40D isn't the top-of-the-line camera with a super low noise sensor it's leaps and bounds from the sensors of 2 years ago. With the advent of sensor noise getting better and better (aka lower) you can sacrifice the faster lenses and leverage ISO and save your arms and your wallet. Just looks at the weight and cost difference to the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens.

-Roy