Help Finding Canon Lens Manual

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read the sticky, I've googled, Binged, yahoo, etc. every search engine I can find. I cannot find a manual that I need.

It is a Canon 28-55mm F/3.5-F/4.5 Wide Angle/Zoom/Macro lense.

Butkus has a general lens manual that specifies that these lenses have a seperate instruction booklet. But he doesn't have it in his catalog. Search engines come up blank, except one page that has a picture and general info on the lens.

This lens is like new, and been setting for years. I pretty much have it figured out, but I would love to have a copy of the user's manual, if anyone has any other ideas, where I might find one. Also tried Ebay, no luck there. I know these lenses were popular, but it's my understanding that they are fairly "rare".

Any help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.

J.:mrgreen:

Did you try Canon? They probably have a PDF online...

For what it's worth, I've found those manuals to be pretty much worthless.
They don't really tell you anything that you didn't already know or can't figure out just by looking at the lens...

That lens isn't even listed here.

Are you sure it comes with a manual? Not all lenses do...

You did not mention--is this the Canon FD mount lens? You said it had been sitting for years,so I wondered how many years.

Craig Camera has the FD version's manual for sale at Instruction Manuals C

You did not mention--is this the Canon FD mount lens? You said it had been sitting for years,so I wondered how many years.

Craig Camera has the FD version's manual for sale at Instruction Manuals C

Good catch, Derrel, I did forget to insert FD Mount in my OP's description.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Update, and by golly there it is, for sale, for that particular lens. Wonder why it didn't come up on any of the search engines..oh well, the quest is over, Thanks again Derrel.

J.:confused:

Last edited:
Did you try Canon? They probably have a PDF online...

For what it's worth, I've found those manuals to be pretty much worthless.
They don't really tell you anything that you didn't already know or can't figure out just by looking at the lens...
Most lenses I don't, (as far as Canon FD Lens), but this is a little trickier than most. Guess that's why on Butkus's site, there is a manual, that mentions this particular lens, but state's that It comes with a totally seperate manual.

Sorry I didn't try Canon, I forgot to mention it's an FD mount, and an out of print manual.

Thanks again, though, problem solved.

If you are looking for "antique" Canon equipment (e.g. FL, FD, or as in the OP's case NewFD lenses) you need to visit the "Camera Hall" at the "Canon Camera Museum" at: Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall

The OP's lens is a "New FD" lens and not an "FD" lens. There is a difference and Canon separates them into different "wings" of the museum.

The main URL for the museum is Canon Camera Museum

If you are looking for "antique" Canon equipment (e.g. FL, FD, or as in the OP's case NewFD lenses) you need to visit the "Camera Hall" at the "Canon Camera Museum" at: Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall

The OP's lens is a "New FD" lens and not an "FD" lens. There is a difference and Canon separates them into different "wings" of the museum.

Since the OP didn't specify, I assumed we were talking about EF lenses. A few posts later we found out that wasn't the case. The link I provided wouldn't have helped anyway... I looked up a few lenses I have that did come with a manual, and the manual was not available online there...

Since the OP didn't specify, I assumed we were talking about EF lenses. A few posts later we found out that wasn't the case. The link I provided wouldn't have helped anyway... I looked up a few lenses I have that did come with a manual, and the manual was not available online there...
Yep, sorry, I screwed up the whole post with that. Actually, on the boxes of lenses that I have, they don't specify "new" just FD (fill in the blank).
On the site that Darrell pointed me to, I don't think it broke it down either, just listed it as a FD 28-35mm Zoom lens. It's a little "unique" for a Canon lens. I remember when I first bought it , there was something I really liked about it. Very compact, and sharp. I doubt that this lens has more than a hundred shots with it probably less. Still is in as new shape.

Most reactions

Back