help fix my d7000

jaycar85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i just purchased a new to me d7000 and the back lcd gasket is poping out on one side. everything works i would just like to replace it. on line i can get a new glass cover for 17 bucks. i guess my question is that all i need? does it come with the gasket allrdy attached to the replacement cover? and how do i replace it? the back glass can move if i press on it and try and slide it. can i just remove it or do i need to take it appart?

Do you mean the plastic thing that covers the LCD panel ?
or the LCD panel itself ?
Can you post a picture ?

can you see the pics? it was a plastic gasket that was under the glass but it appears over time the glass has slid to the right which reviled the gasket. im a picker always was lol so i picked it till it came off and just snipes the ends so thats why they look like strings sticking out of the top n bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 263
How about e-mailing the seller and asking what, EXACTLY, is included in the item for sale terms. Sure, there's the replacement cover. Ask if there is some type of adhesive and gasket material. The seller is the only entity that can tell you what they will be selling and sending you.

It looks like it was replaced by the previous owner, by the previous owner (and not a Nikon service center).

So that material is just some glue/rubber compound which isn't doing a good job.
So go back to the seller as Derrel mentions and ask them.
I'd return it and buy a refurb'd unit from a respectible reseller (adorama, cameta camera, KEH, etc).

The LCD panel should be flush all the way around such as this

IMG_5778[1].JPG

ok that was my next question is the glass flush. i got barave and peeled it off. it is just a plastic cover, and when i peeled it off the glass is flush, thanks for the pics, and the help. i look forward to being a member to this forum

So they just put one of those plastic "protective" covers then.
I've never used one on those.
Glad you figured it out.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that would be glued on. The camera came with a removable snap-on protector for the LCD, look like the previous owner glued it on for some reason. That plastic sheet is NOT supposed to be permanently attached.

The OEM LCD cover looks like this, and installed
IMG_5792[1].JPG
IMG_5793[1].JPG

Wow, somebody just glued a piece of plastic with super glue to "protect" the screen, hahahhaha. This is like giving yourself a lobotomy to keep yourself from getting a cold.

Hope the glue didn't leave any long term damage to the screen. Enjoy your new camera! I still have my d7000 and it's still a great camera that more than holds its own.

I have a protective cover on my D7000 screen. I forget who it's made by, but it's plexiglass, and is basically a sticker a couple mm's thick that goes on the back. It's just like those you can buy for a smartphone but a little thicker and more robust. Completely clear, you wouldn't even be able to tell it was there unless you inspected closely. I can say that it's saved my actual screen from damage. It's cracked in the corner right now, but the camera glass under it is just fine.

The OEM cover is posted above. I forget where I saw it, but I thought there were some issues viewing the LCD through that cover, and shouldn't be on when the camera is being used if you want to depend on the color contrast on the screen, or something like that. Nikon doesn't mention it, but I thought I remember seeing that. Maybe not, I dunno. From the Nikon manual: "A clear plastic cover is provided with the camera to keep the monitor clean and protect it when the camera is not in use."

Most reactions

Back