Help for a beginner. From lenses to batteries.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dangergoinoff, Jul 29, 2007.

1. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello.
    I will be aquiring a new PentaxK100D with the 18-50MM lens in about 8 weeks.
    This is my first camera. I bought my girlfriend a Canon Ixus500 a few years ago for her birthday and have been using that over the past few years and thought that it was time to step up. I really enjoy landscape photography.
    So here are my questions.
    Do you think this is a good camera to learn on?
    What sort of batteries are the best in this type of camera?
    Will i have enough on my hands initally with the 1 lens for it to make more sense to wait before I buy a second lens?
    What would be the best memory card to get?
    Are there any good instructional books readily available?

I would appreciate any help that you can offer.
    Thanks.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. Good camera to learn on yes! It has all the features you could need.
    2. Don't they come with specific Li-ion batteries for that model? I'm shaky on the details, but all other DSLR cameras do.
    3. It depends on what you want to learn. The 18-50mm is a good range for wide angle nature, landscapes, cityscapes, and on the wider side of portraits. But if you want to learn to take photos of birds right from the go then no it's not. That kind of lens suits my shooting style so I would wait and play around with the lens you have before investing further. But since I am not you, only you can decide if you need something else.
    4. Memory cards are mostly the same. They all have equal reliability. I use a generic EBay card which is really slow, but I put up with it because of the cheap price. In any event the camera's inbuilt buffer takes care of action shots anyway.

3. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
    I dont think this camera does come with specific batteries. You can use AA's but they recommend rechargable ones. From what i have read.
    I think if i get an extra lens at this stage i will end up not learning enough about either to do them justice.
    Once again thanks. I have posted a few questions on this site and it seems that unless you are female you get bugger all repsonses. I guess some people just treat all areas of the internet as a pick up joint.

4. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I strongly recommend to use the kit lens until it falls apart. There will be a point (hopefully before the lens falls apart) when it is painful to pick up the camera with "that crummy little kit lens". There will be a point when you've progressed/grown into photography that you will know what lens you need to continue your progress.

Gary

5. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Gary.
    So what lenses suit what types of photography?

6. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a general rule(s):
    wide angles are used for landscapes and architecture;
    normal to medium telephoto for people and portraits;
    medium to long telephoto for sports and animals (birds/zoo); and
    macros for closeups of small stuff like flowers and insects.

Remember there are no "Rules" in photography only guidelines. When you think outside the rules is when photography really becomes fun, interesting and creative. When all else fails then follow the rules.

Good Luck
    Gary

i.e.
    a 20mm wide angle for a portrait
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

200mm Telephoto for architecture
    [​IMG]

super tight for sports
    [​IMG]

the underside of flowers
    [​IMG]

or like a 500mm telephoto for closeup of flowers
    [​IMG]

7. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've posted this a lot but it seems to help.

8. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Besides that guide I wrotev here is more help.

1. you can learn a ton from that camera. A dSLR was my first camera and I learned everything I know on it, I considered the Pentax myself and would have got it if my friend didn't have an EOS camera I could borrow lenses from (I later found out he sold it so I really chose canon for all the wrong reasons but love it).

2. if you can find NiMh rechargables or Li-ion rechargables, you're set.

3.use use use that kit lens. You'll slowly start to see the lenses limitations when you realize how your lens's features are effecting your image and what features to look at next time around. Take for example the kit lens having a max aperture of 3.5 ( a lower number is a larger value, so low is good) and later on you realize you need a lens that will let you take hand held pictures in a dark room without flash and without high ISO noise, you will know to get something faster (if you like the kit and it's too slow, get one of the 3rd party 17-50 2.8 lenses)

4. Try and get several smaller cards, don't go for 1 bajillion gigabite card, rather get 2 or 3 cards with 2 gigs of memory, so if you lose or damage a card, less data is lost.

5. Understanding Exposure I haven't read it but I am a quick learner via these forums. apparently this book is a godsend according to most people here, I've heard so many positive reviews I don't feel bad about reccomending it without reading it myself. Yes, it's THAT good. (apparently)

9. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would suggest getting at least 2 sets of sanyo Eneloop AA rechargables. buy one set with the charger, and another set of 4 so you have a spare, they are GREAT batteries, i have 2 sets and can get close to 500 shots per set depending on flash use, and how much i use the LCD, they are a bit more expensive than energizer rechargables, but to me they are worth it. I have 2 Transcend 2 gig cards for my K110D, and they work great, and are cheap !! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820163158 Eneloopp batteries http://www.amazon.com/Eneloop-Battery-Charging-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV0REA

10. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks thats really helpful

11. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks.

12. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah i hadn't thought about getting two medium sized cards in case of a malfunction.
    Makes good sense.
    I will keep an eye out for the rechargable batteries over the next few weeks.