help help help

milosmyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Help. Got a great new fuji finepix 6500 digital slr and used it for my niece's first holy communion at the weekend.

Got some great shots and am very pleased with my camera but..

When i print my shots on my hp printer all of my 4x6 shots come out badly cropped ie top of pic or left hand side of shot cropped.

When i try to print in a4 I get the same problem.

My brilliant sons tell me it is the "aspect ratio" of the shots as taken by the camera.

does anyone know how I can change the ratio on my camera or on the photoshop cs3 program that I use to edit to solve this annoying problem

First off, just to clarify...that camera is not a true SLR...it's 'SLR-Like'

I looked up the specs for that camera...and it show that there are two possible aspect ratios.
Image ratio w:h 4:3, 3:2
You are probably using 4:3, and that's why you have to crop to get a 4x6 print. If you change it to 3:2, you will fit the 4x6 aspect ratio.

I'm sure it's in the manual.

the aspect ratio is the number of horizontal pixels compared to the number of vertical pixels.

I'm not familiar with your camera or it's resolution and aspect ratio.

However it cannot be changed. you could change the quality settings which may give a different resolution and aspect ratio but the pay off is lowered quality. In general i'd advise against that.

In photoshop it's fairly easy. But again there is a pay off. If you adjust the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2 (or any other value) then you'll be distorting the image. In other words you'll be stretching one axis in relation to the other, so that the aspect ratio changes.

The best way is to reduce the longest side to a point where it fits onto the paper you wish to print on and print at that size. You could then trim off the blank paper.

Alternatively, using Photoshop, make a blank border and place the image within it so that you don't have to enlarge the image as much. Within the blank border you can type text for a title, date, caption etc. This often looks more professional but isn't suitable for every image.

However it cannot be changed
On the contrary, several digital cameras do record in different aspect ratios. I'm sure that the camera just crops the image though, which essentially throws out some of the pixels. The best solution would be to do it yourself in post production...but some people prefer to print the images as they come out of the camera.

Another suggestion, when you print, there should be an option for "fitting photo to the page" when you are selecting your paper type, print quality, etc. That will allow you to print without changing any camera settings. (The only problem being that you may end up with a little bit of white space on the top and bottom or on the sides).

Just be careful that it doesn't squash the image to fit the page.

Alternatively, using Photoshop, make a blank border and place the image within it so that you don't have to enlarge the image as much. Within the blank border you can type text for a title, date, caption etc. This often looks more professional but isn't suitable for every image.[/quote]

sorry darich was not happy with result. will keep trying.

thanks big mike I will scour the book and let you know if the ratio can be fixed

thanks all

Most reactions

New Topics

Back