HELP! I get calls, but no appointments!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by aephoto, Aug 4, 2009.

1. aephoto

aephoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I received 10 inquiries about senior pictures and 7 inquiries about weddings in the month of July via my contact form on my website. They typically ask for pricing info, I send it to them with a friendly, informative email response and then I never hear anything back! What am i doing wrong? The ones that leave phone numbers (it's not required on my form and I can't change it) I do try to call, but most the time they dont answer so I end up sending the pricing via email anyway. I am not overpriced for my area - in fact, I'm probably on the low end of mid- range. My images are good - I always get lots of compliments. My website is professional - flash, easy to use. I just dont understand why I dont get the bookings? Anyone have any ideas, tips, advice? I 'd be happy to send you my website/email response/pricing info I send to clients if that would help.
    Thank you!

2. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe try a month where you dont use a contact form? Do all business by phone. You might get less nibbles, but the ones you get will be more serious.

Also, it might be good to list your prices online. I pretty much ignore sites that dont list prices. For me I figure either their prices arent set (they might charge more if I seem easy to manipulate or there might be contract issues later on), or they charge a ton of money and I wouldnt be able to afford them.

Also, in your email are you asking them to book? If it is open ended, its way more likely to not get a buy.

3. Bee Bee

Bee Bee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would definitely list your prices on your website - not knowing prices can turn people off - they want to know when they look at the site if they can afford it and it could be that in the mean time they found a site that had the information ready xxx

4. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is your website?

If they dont answer the phone, Insure you mention you called
    Ask them to resond with their decision of continuing to use you or if they wish not to continue with you and ask why.
    etc..

5. aephoto

aephoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Let's see if can remember everything now! My website is www.artisticexpressionsphoto.com. I do list my pricing on my website, but I think it is hard to find - it's listed under the tab "links and downloads" not "pricing" so i think many people don't even look there. I have asked in the email "when would you like to schedule a session" or "Let me know when you are ready to schedule your session" but again no response. I have tried follow up emails with an "act now" offer - book before xx and get xx - sort of thing. nothing seems to work. I'm really at a loss...

6. aephoto

aephoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Am i new to what? photography or rejection? lol

7. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First, you need to give your price list a page/tab of it's own so it's easy to find. I never would have looked in the area where the prices are if you hadn't mentioned it. Why would I click a tab for links and downloads if I want to view prices....I don't want to download anything and don't want to view any links (usually links refer to offsite pages).

Second....your problem may be in your price list.....not the prices themselves. As far as I can see, you only offer one package for a single person. All of your other packages are for more than one person. What if somebody wants a session for one person but they want the package for the "triple take". They are going to pay the same as the 3 person package.

Now I understand that 3 hours of your time is the same regardless of whether you are shooting 1 person or 3, so I do think the price should be the same. However, the customer may not look at it like that and probably thinks "I shouldn't have to pay the same for a 3 hour single shoot as somebody with a 3 hour 3 person shoot."

I would (if I was you) change your packages to to not include the amount of people, but only the increase in hours/prints that they are choosing. I don't understand why you would charge more for the amount of people (within reason) when the time is the same. Also, how does adding an extra person make you need an extra hour to get the shots? I'd be surprised if you really needed 2 additional hours to get good shots of a "party of 3" over a "party of 1". What if a family of three (like me) wants a one hour session...we are forced to get the 3 hour session even though it's more than we want to spend and probably more than we need/want.

That's my 2 cents.

8. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    who oh why do people put music on websites. drives me nuts

9. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly, I left your site after about 15 seconds... people need to find something other that musical flash sites to show their work, it's slow and annoying (and I'm on a lightening fast connection).

Your links are confusing as well... one link was Engagements and Weddings and when you hover over it there's a drop down (for no reason) that says Weddings and Engagements.

I know you may not want site critique but that's all I can offer.

10. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I agree here, I clicked the tab n i was like....
    then i realized you had to click the drop down... very confusing for computer illiterate people

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This doesn't create a sense of urgency and makes it sound like you're just sitting around twiddeling your thumbs.

Your reply should be more on the lines of, "Thanks for your inquiry. You are so lucky, I can book your session next Wednesday at 10:00 am, or the Friday after that at 4:00 pm. I'd be happy to let you know if I have any cancellations, but they don't happen very often.

Let me know when you would like to schedule your session so I can check my bookings and let you know what dates and times I still have available."

You might want to hone your salesmanship skills. There's lots of good books out there.

A successful photography business happens based on 80% business skill and 20% photographic skill.

12. aephoto

aephoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gee...thanks for the helpful insight.