Help! I have an interview at a studio!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by DeepSpring, Aug 7, 2007.

1. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My moms hair dresser is friends with a photographer who has his own photo/video studio where they do events and portraits and everything. The hair dresser herd I was into photography and talked to his friend and set up a meeting with him for me. So the photographer told me to bring in some samples of my work so here is where my question is. I don't currently have a printed portfolio yet because I am still in the process of building it up a little bit so what I was thinking I could do is make 2 slide shows in lightroom. One of the slide shows would feature my portraits and the other would show the wedding I've shot and some over events (school dances etc.) that I have shot and I would bring in my laptop and show them to him.

Do you think that would be an appropriate way to display my work?

Also is there anything else that you would recommend I know or say or do that might help me get a job?

2. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone?

3. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

show him the slideshow, but also you should print out at least 5-10 8x10s of your fav or best shots, mostly portraits.

this shows him you understand the full cycle and you can get what you shoot processed for printing and it looks right.

4. Jeepnut28

Jeepnut28 TPF Noob!

I agree.

but also, I think your idea of being out on your own and doing your own thing (like you are doing now) would be a better than working for someone else.....

BTW I really have alot of respect for you.....17 years old and trying to make money from your passion. it really says alot. keep going.

5. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a few prints but they are a little older and not exactly my best work, but they are not too shabby. The thing is I don't have too much money to spend on prints right now it's too late to get them cheaper from mpix or some online dealer. So I'll show him those prints and leave the printed pics out of the slideshow.

And thank you very much Jeepnut, those are rally kind words. I'm still going to continue my own business but at the moment I'm not really making any money from it so if I can get some more income that would be great and then once deep spring is going more I can leave him. I also think it would be a great learning experience to be able to see how the pros do it.

6. hyp0rbyte

hyp0rbyte TPF Noob!

This sounds like a great opportunity. I would rethink your using old shots, and printing at least 3 8x10s... A credit card, loan from a parent or something. It would suck to not get this because you didn't want to print a few shots. Photos on screen look nice, but you can't give them the "wow, nice" effect unless it is printed and in hand.

7. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it shouldnt be TOO expensive... theres a place called white house custome color, www.whcc.com (not sure if they serve all states or just MN) but when you sign up , they let you do 5 8X10 prints for free , signup is free as well, with the prints they send you a bunch of materials and stuff, i sent photos to be printed (the 5 sample prints) and they turned out very nice and the paper was high quality and everything, but check into it and see if its even available to you. good luck with the interview!

8. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wish you the best of luck! Break a lense. (I figured instead of break a leg for acting i'd say break a lense, ha ha) Be sure to tell us how it goes please, that is if you dont mind.

9. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would call the photographer and clarify whether he wants a 'hard' portfolio or whether a 'digital portfolio' will suffice. :) That will show that you are on top of things, presentation is key, and you are ambitious

10. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll take it he liked me since I have an assisting job for a wedding sept 2nd :)

Thanks for all the advice.

11. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats!

12. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Whoooooooooo hoooooooooo!!! Congrats! Let's hope this is the start of something big for you. :)