Help : I have this----how to get this-

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Latinheat18, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

Hello, i am a new member here and i am pretty new into photography. I bought a Kodaq 4230 and mainly use for portrait shots for a guy i know. Anyhow, ive explored a bit using a light, but i dont really know how to get a good definsed portrait shot. Anyhow, i would like you to see two photos, here, one is of my freind using my light settings, and one of a famus pop star, anyhow, could someone give me some pointers and help on how to get a shot similar to that? What time of the day, and which direction to face the person? Many Thanks,

Photo trying to achive-
    [​IMG]
    Photo achived

[​IMG]

2. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

the first thing i notice is Enrique's photograph is shot outdoors, your friend's indoors. the light temperture is different. I would guess on the first one, its probably about 5500 or so, looks like he could have used reflectors. the indoor photo is probably anywhere around 3500-4500, u would need the proper light or photoshop to remove the yellow cast from his face :D ... for an indoor "studio" look ... i would go with a softbox and/or reflector to acheive similar results

"natural" lighting can be tricky and leave blueish - yellowish tints.

if it were me, i would photograph it during the afternoon hours, near a window and most likely use a reflector :D

3. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

The enrique photog is also using a very shallow depth of field. Probably using a very large aperature...somewhere in the 3's. Also, I'm sure the Enrique photog used a handheld light meter to expose for his face.

4. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

but what is a reflector and a softbox? i have no clue where to a position it and second what it is, i have to make do with very basic things.

thanx

5. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

A soft box is a light (usually around 5-600Watts) that has a hooded diffusing cloth in front of it. This diffuses the light so it's softer. A reflector is simple anything that will reflect light onto the subject. You can either buy reflectors or use a car shade.

6. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

so should he be back to the window facing the wall or facing the window in the sun?

7. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

this is a crude drawing i whipped up (very crude :lol: ) ... as u can tell, im not exactly Picasso, but u get the idea ... :roll: .. something like this is what i'd do ... perhaps variations, i may even do it without the reflector depending on what kind of mood i want to show ... knowing me, i would go for something more "moody" ... but most likely i would do some variations to acheive maximum results :D

i wouldnt put the subject with his/her back in front of the window, u would have to deal with spot metering issues... the subject being dark and the background/window being bright ... i wouldnt try it (that would open up another can of worms :lol: )

take a stab at it, and show us your results .... be careful about too much light coming in from the window, you dont want to over-expose your subject .... as soon as my hubby wakes up, i'll do some test shots in this similar way, with and without reflector, with his back towards the window, etc. to view the different options :D

[​IMG]

8. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

is i use photoshop, to adjust the color balance and contrast and saturation, i delibartly on that photo turned it up, trying to make it more orangy, but now i relise it makes it look fake.

Heres one with your advice

[​IMG]

9. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

another one taken with it

[​IMG]

10. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

the second one looks pretty good, his skin color looks more natural (from what i can tell on my screen ... i cant really see it all at once due to the largeness of the photo) .... the first one looks "faded" ... how did u photograph the second one?

11. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

camera east, subject wet, and the window to the south, it was around 2ish so the sun was kind of setting, and fill in flash, used paint shop to slightler make higher color balance, and slightly more saturation for a more natural look.

What i wanna achive though, is that photo of enrique, just need right settings and position, cant do it outside as no way to do it. And that shot looks like a summer shot, it was actually shot in santa monica i bealive, on a 3 floor building.

12. Latinheat18

Latinheat18 TPF Noob!

first formost, how can i reduce the size of photos with out losing the quality? also, does a better digtial camera for example nikkon 2100 mean better photo then my kodaq 4230? The color is not very good on the kodaq, but i like the sharpness , however there is no whatsoever comtrol on settings.