Help! Improve this photo!

Royal Photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, what can I do to improve this photo? The dog looks awful!

2763027378_411a416d31_b.jpg

Curves layer to bring back detail in the dog, but I'm afraid it might be too dark for the software - you can't even see the dog's eyes very well.

If you have the original raw file, you could possibly bring back shadows in lightroom or use "fill" (not too much though) to help bring the dog back, but honestly, I think it might be too hard to bring back.

My last suggestion would be to try a dodge/burn layer in soft light blend mode with a brush on white at 15% opacity to lighten the dog.. but I'm not sure how well that would work.

hmmm, I have the original but no idea how to do any of that in PS. I really like the contrast level and hope I can keep that...I'd actually like more contrast.

Hey, what can I do to improve this photo? The dog looks awful!

Buy a new dog, LoL. Sorry, just had to do it. Anyways...

Add a new layer, brighted up the dog through curves or levels, then mask in the layer onto your original photo.

The yellow cast really saturates the picture. Adjust the photos tempurature and tint.

For me, I would also clone out the "Your #&$^ed" graffiti

Just my 2 Lincolns.

I would crop as suggested, and lighten the dog in a layer. The dog seems to be well behaved sitting for the picture so the prong collar doesn't make sense especially for a dog with thin hair. Nice shot though.

I would crop as suggested, and lighten the dog in a layer. The dog seems to be well behaved sitting for the picture so the prong collar doesn't make sense especially for a dog with thin hair. Nice shot though.

maybe the prong collar was the reason for the dogs behavior.

just a thought..:wink:

I, personally, would correct the spelling on the graffiti. :)

aha the grammar made me giggle and the fact that my model didn't know the difference between the "horns" hand symbol and the "I love you" one.

Here's another one....I did make the hue a lottle cooler than it acutally was...

2764411758_83707e2301_b.jpg

Well, I for one, don't like the color cast you have in these photos. I don't think it does your model any justice, nor the photo.

Secondly, I echo what someone said above me - use a mask and then paint in where you want the effect to take place - the dog.

Lastly, the graffiti is kind of detracting from the whole image itself - it's not what I would consider "good background distraction" if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I probably would edit the spelling too on the graffiti;), I like your contrast too. the dogs eye are kind of funny in the first pic:).

You made it cooler? It stilllooks kinda warm to the point of being out of whack, colorwise.

I don't suppose you have the raw capture of this?

I wonder, too... is the washout of the wall and her pants just unavoidable? Just seems odd to me that it would be THAT washed out.

I do have the original and it waqsn't as washed out. I wanted to see what the other side of the spectrum would do, I like how she looks personally even if the background hurts the eyes.

I do have the original and it waqsn't as washed out. I wanted to see what the other side of the spectrum would do, I like how she looks personally even if the background hurts the eyes.

Do you have a RAW, though? A RAW would give you a bit more room to play. Can you see the detail of the dog when the background isn't washed out? Ultimately, that's really the primary issue... woman is wearing white skirt/pants standing next to a jet black dog, in sunlight.

Welcome to exposure hell, floor 7. Please stand clear of the doors. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back