Help! (Industrial/Low Light Photography)

PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi-

At a loss as to if this is even possible.. For my school indepandent project I have chosen to photograph the inside of a local factory that has been empty for (at least) 49 years. I presume the building does not have any working eletrical systems this long after it's closesure.

This is where I run into a major snag. I have a 350D,18-55mm IS ,crappy flash (which I probably won't bother using), and a Tiltall tripod. That's all. How should I go about photographing this? I'll try for a sunny day so I can get all the light I can from the windows in the building. I know that the 350D is not known for low-light photography but It's what I have to work with. Is this possible?

Phil,

Hi-

At a loss as to if this is even possible.. For my school indepandent project I have chosen to photograph the inside of a local factory that has been empty for (at least) 49 years. I presume the building does not have any working eletrical systems this long after it's closesure.

This is where I run into a major snag. I have a 350D,18-55mm IS ,crappy flash (which I probably won't bother using), and a Tiltall tripod. That's all. How should I go about photographing this? I'll try for a sunny day so I can get all the light I can from the windows in the building. I know that the 350D is not known for low-light photography but It's what I have to work with. Is this possible?

Phil,

Very long exposures with the tripod. Note that digital sensors don't have reciprocity failure like film.

Depending on the condition of the factory, a tripod might not be practical. Take along a beanbag just in case.

Be careful where you step and watch for the rats.

Where's the factory?

Unless your subjects are moving...you don't have to worry too much about low light when using a tripod.
The reason we worry about low light is that it requires longer shutter speeds...and longer shutter speeds cause movement (of camera or subject) to show as blur.
If neither the camera or the subjects are moving...there is no problem.

Unless your subjects are moving...you don't have to worry too much about low light when using a tripod.
The reason we worry about low light is that it requires longer shutter speeds...and longer shutter speeds cause movement (of camera or subject) to show as blur.

Unless he wants to photograph the rats!

I recommend a very large flash light.....gives off lots of light and can be used for rat defense!!!

+1

UE is fascinating but can be quite dangerous. Make sure that you never go alone and that someone on the outside knows where you are and when you are supposed to be out. Then keep to the schedule no matter what interesting stuff you find in there.

Also don't forget to bring a minimum of equipment such as flash lights with fresh batteries and wear work boots.

Have fun.

+1

UE is fascinating but can be quite dangerous. Make sure that you never go alone and that someone on the outside knows where you are and when you are supposed to be out. Then keep to the schedule no matter what interesting stuff you find in there.

Also don't forget to bring a minimum of equipment such as flash lights with fresh batteries and wear work boots.

Have fun.

UE? Thanks for the advice all. I think my brother has a police flashlight, I'll borrow that. No way in the hell you get me in a building abandoned for 50 years without a guide. I have my steel toe boots and my camera battery is a total beast so I think I'll be alright in those regards ;). My widest aperture in 3.5.. Will that be low enough? Should I bother trying my flash? Don't even really know how to use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back