Help! (Industrial/Low Light Photography)

Using a "crappy" flash is better than not being able to take the picture, but the tripod would be a better option. Though you might want to try long exposures with a quick flash as fill, or to bring out a particular subject.

Unless your subjects are moving...you don't have to worry too much about low light when using a tripod.
The reason we worry about low light is that it requires longer shutter speeds...and longer shutter speeds cause movement (of camera or subject) to show as blur.
If neither the camera or the subjects are moving...there is no problem.

+1

UE is fascinating but can be quite dangerous. Make sure that you never go alone and that someone on the outside knows where you are and when you are supposed to be out. Then keep to the schedule no matter what interesting stuff you find in there.

Also don't forget to bring a minimum of equipment such as flash lights with fresh batteries and wear work boots.

Have fun.

UE? Thanks for the advice all. I think my brother has a police flashlight, I'll borrow that. No way in the hell you get me in a building abandoned for 50 years without a guide. I have my steel toe boots and my camera battery is a total beast so I think I'll be alright in those regards ;). My widest aperture in 3.5.. Will that be low enough? Should I bother trying my flash? Don't even really know how to use it.

You don't need the widest aperture, stop down and increase exposure time, tripod / beanbag will steady the camera, get it all in focus. H

I imagine you'll get some very interesting shots. Try a few different exposure times with each shot and if there's some dust around, kick it up and take a shot of the light streaming in through the windows. Good luck and have fun.

No need to invest. My beanbag is a few grocery store type bags with whatever I find where I'm going such as sand, loose dirt, whatever. If I'm not sure of finding a filler on location, I just bring some sand from home. Make sure and keep it outside of your photo bag in case it rips open. lol.

I imagine you'll get some very interesting shots. Try a few different exposure times with each shot and if there's some dust around, kick it up and take a shot of the light streaming in through the windows. Good luck and have fun.

be careful, alot of these old buildings are filled with abestos

Most reactions

Back