Help...infor on 50 mm lens

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI,
I have read several individuals on the forum say they use a 50mm lens for portrait shots. I am learning about lens, and I have found a 156114 MINOLTA MAXXUM 50MM F/1.7 SONY ALPHA AUTOFOCUS MOUNT LENS for $50 on Ebay. It does come with a 90 days warranty. Do you use this lens a lot or am I wasting my money? I am just learning about length from a person associated with focal length. Hope I got that right. How far away from the individual can you be located to get a good shot. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated, because I have zero.
Thank you
Karen

bunny99123 said:
HI,
I have read several individuals on the forum say they use a 50mm lens for portrait shots. I am learning about lens, and I have found a 156114 MINOLTA MAXXUM 50MM F/1.7 SONY ALPHA AUTOFOCUS MOUNT LENS for $50 on Ebay. It does come with a 90 days warranty. Do you use this lens a lot or am I wasting my money? I am just learning about length from a person associated with focal length. Hope I got that right. How far away from the individual can you be located to get a good shot. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated, because I have zero.
Thank you
Karen

I use my 50mm lens all the time. I don't know anything specific about that lens though.

What lenses do you have now? Do you have one that covers the 50mm range?

Yes, I have 18 to 70 mm with a f3.5 to 5.6. I want something with a sharper image. Relocating, so buying a new for a while is out of the question. About what is the longest distance you can shoot a subject. Can you get a full body shot and still have excellent sharpness?

The Minolta lens will have better IQ.

As for framing, set your zoom to 50mm and see how far you'll need to be.

I have two 50mm lenses. They are a great little lens. It makes a good walk around lens but I have no idea for portrait shots (I don't do much with portraits) Like Kolia said set your zoom to 50mm and play around with it. For $50 it is a good deal. Another place to look is Craigslist. Used Minolta film cameras sometimes come with them.

Keeping in mind ours are cropped sensor, I use my 50mm for close up portrait indoors.

For walk around / street photo I go for the 35mm or my new 17-50mm zoom lens.

I just recently purchased this same lens(Minolta Maxxum AF50 F1.7 from a Ebay auction for my A57 Sony. I personally so far really like the lens. The minimum focus distance is about 1 1/2 to 2 feet(I have not actually put a tape measure up as I focused). The lens seems to give better colors and sharpness than the 18-55 F3.5-5.6 kit lens. What I do not like about the lens is the focus ring. I tend to use the lens on manual focus rather than auto-focus. It is very small and slightly smaller in diameter than the lens body. I paid $80 with shipping for mine and feel it was well worth the price.

Yes, I have 18 to 70 mm with a f3.5 to 5.6. I want something with a sharper image. ?

Get rid of the Sony 18-70mm ... it is one of the poorest IQ lenses there is ... the newer 18-55mm is better.
The 50mm f/1.7 will have high IQ and is great under low lighting conditions.

On an APS-C a 50mm lens is 75mm ... so it tends to be a nice focal length for portraits.

I have my kit 18-55mm lens for sale if somebody needs one.

I have that lens. Buy you one. Very solid for the cash. If you want something really nice buy the sigma 50mm f1.4.

The 50mm 1.7 lens is one of the better 50mm lenses as tested in the labs.
The Sony 50mm 1.8 is light, plasticy, but the quality as tested is a little better than the 1.4 Sony.
The Sony 50mm 1.4 gets mixed reviews for image quality.

The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is certainly worth a more thorough look-see.

skieur

The 50mm 1.7 lens is one of the better 50mm lenses as tested in the labs.
The Sony 50mm 1.8 is light, plasticy, but the quality as tested is a little better than the 1.4 Sony.
The Sony 50mm 1.4 gets mixed reviews for image quality.

The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is certainly worth a more thorough look-see.

skieur

I prefer the sigma glass over the entry level minolta. But you get what you pay for. My minolta has been good to me for the $100 I paid for it. Sigma is 5x that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back