Help! Lens jammed!

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some help from camera/lens gurus...

I somehow fudged the mounting of one of my lenses and it won't come off now. Holding the release and turning yields zero movement.

The lens is noticeably crooked in the mount. Any ideas as to what I could do to fix this?

Camera is a D7000
Lens is a Nikkor 70-300 f4-5.6 non-vr.

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm on vacation without a camera :(

Oh man. The only thing I can think of is just muscling it trying your very best not to break anything else while doing it.

I hope someone else has a better answer than that for you.

It's entirely possible the camera side of the lens mount has been bent out of shape.

How is the lens toast? No doubt it's one of Nikon's least expensive lenses, but ......

Thanks guys. Body seems fine I don't see any visible bends or damage otherwise.

Lens mounting brackets broke off in the process so sadly they're done for. Sure it's a cheap lens, but when you're on a budget, everything is expensive :)

Should be able to get s replacement for the mount at a low cost. Try eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mount bayonets are on a ring that bolts onto the lens, I think. Ought to be replaceable.

Be very careful mounting other lenses on the camera. You haven't said you did that, you just said you don't see any damage. Align it carefully, turn it s-l-o-w-l-y and wait for the click. Immediately dismount it before shooting. I don't know if modern lenses still use any of the mechanical linkages for aperture control, but don't actuate those by shooting until you know the lens comes off again. Then re-mount it and try shooting. Check min and max apertures to see if you get expected results.

Should be able to get s replacement for the mount at a low cost. Try eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll have to look into this.

The mount bayonets are on a ring that bolts onto the lens, I think. Ought to be replaceable.

Be very careful mounting other lenses on the camera. You haven't said you did that, you just said you don't see any damage. Align it carefully, turn it s-l-o-w-l-y and wait for the click. Immediately dismount it before shooting. I don't know if modern lenses still use any of the mechanical linkages for aperture control, but don't actuate those by shooting until you know the lens comes off again. Then re-mount it and try shooting. Check min and max apertures to see if you get expected results.

Messed with it for a solid 20 mins to make sure everything was ok. I don't see any problems with the mounting of other lenses and everything sounds and feels right too. No Jamming or sticking. Lenses seem to function properly at max apertures as well.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was a scary moment but all seems well now and I was still able to get some nice shots in LA :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back