Help making this better

mom2eight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a favorite park for photographers. When I arrived there were about 15 photogs from around the U.S taking pictures with a photography class. It was scary to pull out my camera in front of these folks. I'd like to be able to go back and rework this photo. Please CC (It was raining and overcast so the sky was really this white)
_MG_8846_edited-1.jpg

That sky is killing your picture. I might have tried a CPL filter. It's not just for blue skies. It can go a long way to cut glare in any situation. As it is, it's blown out a lot of information from the picture. I tried to bring a little color and detail back in, but I don't think I was too successful.

_MG_8846_edited-1.jpg

I'll have to research CPL filter. Your edit did add more true color. Thats what color the bricks should be. Thanks for the edit.

Would yo be able to do an evening shot? Maybe a long exposure with a dark sky?

Would yo be able to do an evening shot? Maybe a long exposure with a dark sky?

Yes, I could go back and do an evening shot however my kiddos don't sit still for long.

Yes, I could go back and do an evening shot however my kiddos don't sit still for long.

Try a slow sync flash. this will fire the flash, capturing the detail of your subjects, but allow the shutter to remain open a little longer to include the ambient light.

Mrramon,
I have a small speedlight 270EX, and I have an off band 952AF that honestly I don't know how to use well. You can change all the settings ie ISO, F/stop and so on. I thought the stupid thing didn't work, but opps I was the stupid one because it wouldn't flash until I changed the zoom.lol
I am not sure what you mean by slow sync flash. Should the flash be bounced off somthing? The bigger flash has a difuser.
Sorry to hit ya with so many questions thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out.

Mrramon,
I have a small speedlight 270EX, and I have an off band 952AF that honestly I don't know how to use well. You can change all the settings ie ISO, F/stop and so on. I thought the stupid thing didn't work, but opps I was the stupid one because it wouldn't flash until I changed the zoom.lol
I am not sure what you mean by slow sync flash. Should the flash be bounced off somthing? The bigger flash has a difuser.
Sorry to hit ya with so many questions thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out.
No you don't bounce the flash off something in this kind of situation. You don't use a diffuser either.

You need a lot of light because you're having to overcome the bright sky.

You use your cameras regular flash sync speed and you have it sync to the rear/second curtain to maximise the speedlights ability to stop motion.

The duration of the flash of light (about 1/1000 at full power) is much shorter than the shutter speed which is why the flash of light from your speedlight can perform the same motion stopping function your shutter can.

ya, the sky is bland... and i might have positioned the children to sit more in the center of the fountain so that way the crop isn't off... to me... the crop should either be a landscape shot or if you were going to do portrait crop, make it even on both sides. I was thinking a landscape shot because I think it would flow better if you had the boys sitting where they are now, but got the width of the pool in. You could then go back and crop out the excess you don't need in your picture. But I understand, there's probably tourists and stuff and you don't want them in your picture too... lol!

great shot, i like it! I like how the boys are looking away from the camera!

Most reactions

Back