Help me choose a camera with my requirements

@benhasajeep , it's a classic case of justifying own purchase decisions, that's why ;)

Hi !
yes, sell the Nikon and get mirrorless camera ... it's smaller and lighter and can easily use the big DSLR lenses
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

WHY? Please elaborate beyond smaller and lighter. The OP clearly stated low light capability would be necessary. And another poster clearly stated many mirrorless cameras have poor low light capability! What camera do you believe will meet the OP's needs?
Many mirrorless cameras have the same low light performance as DSLRs of the same sensor type. Like any other camera system, you can't just lump them all into one category.

Its no different than DSLRs. You have different sensor sizes amd many different camera configurations.

No camera fits all situations, that's why I have several. Find a camera system that best fits the criteria, then narrow down to a camera that fits the budget. At some point sacrifices usually have to be made either in price or in features.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

@pixmedic , the important part here is "of the same sensor type". The moment you venture into bigger sensors, suddenly "cheaper", "smaller" and "lighter" no longer apply. beagle100 completely ignores this and proposes that as "the best way". SELL YOUR GEAR, GET MIRRORLESS, which is a complete nonsense and I believe benhasajeep was pointing exactly this out.

My problem is he says sell your gear and buy mirrorless. I have no issues with mirrorless gear. The issue is he doesn't specify what to buy. It just, go sell something you already have and works decently. And go buy something in this area. But doesn't say what. Obviously the OP doesn't want to go backwards with capability compared to his current camera. So, something helpful would be, "such and such models have similar capabilities or better capabilities".

I dunno...I kinda think that most modern cameras are pretty close. If you really want compact, you have to go mirrorless...however, there are two connected issues to deal with. To really go compact you have to get a smaller sensor like a m4/3. You can get compact bodies like the Sony a6000, but your lenses still have to be big enough to cover the DX sensor so depending on the lens, your not really saving much room.
Cameras have gotten more complicated over the last decade and the sheer amount of options can make your head spin.

1: list a budget you plan to stick to.
2: list features you absolutely have to have.
3: make a list of cameras with the most features on your list within your budget.
4: research each camera to see if its right for the type of photography you want to do the most of. (Could be multiple models that fit)
5: buy a camera
6: take pictures and don't second guess your decision

I own Nikon D3300 and I have owned a MFT (micro four thirds) camera (all Olympus and Panasonic cameras have MFT sensor in them) and I would like to give you my opinion before you are running to buy a MFT camera.
The sensor on these cameras is smaller then the APS-C size in your D3400
The low light performance is really not impressive on the MFT camera, worst is the drop in dynamic range.
I was so disappointed I sold my MFT camera and got a Sony A6300 which has an APS-C sensor in it and was actually smaller then my MFT camera.
Mind you the sensor in the D3400 is actually one of the BEST APS-C sensor in the market today, it has excellent low light performance and even better very impressive dynamic range so don't expect to get the same quality of picture from a MFT as you are getting from your D3400.
The only camera that will give you about same performance as the D3400 in smaller package will be the Sony a6000, it has all the features you want and price is close to your pocket ability.

Just my 2c
I am about to go to sleep (I'm still awake because I couldn't fall asleep for awhile, it's 4am in Sweden), but it does seem like a lovely camera. I also took a quick look at the aforementioned E‑M10 Mark II from Olympus, and if we compare A6000 (not A6300), Sony is actually even slightly cheaper. From the quick look that I took, A6000 isn't much different from A6300, so maybe that would be an option for me instead? I mean, it still is over my budget, but if I really can't get what I need, there is no other option but to wait until I can afford it. Since you VERY clearly know a lot more than me about how cameras work from the... Hardware point of view, perhaps you could advise me, or perhaps others could pitch in as well?

It's very good that you mentioned performance in the dark - that is actually very important for me as well, as in Sweden it's dark almost all day for a few months, and I usually take walks in the dark more often than in the light anyway.

Off to sleep now!
Sony a6000 is a very good camera, its not without its issues but overall a good camera and if size is an issue for you the Sony a6000 will fit the bill, excellent sensor, good auto focus system and I recommend it, my buddy has it and he loves it.
a6300 is very close to the a6000, its an up scale with simply better technology but the differences are not huge.
If you decide to get the Sony a6000 then get few more batteries, these mirrorless cameras go through batteries like crazy, I would recommend Wasabi batteries, they are very cheap and very good with a charger which is also very cheap.
The Sony a6000 comes with the Sony 16-50mm, its a basic kit lens, its ok for starters, I added 2 lenses for this kit lens, I added Sony 55-210mm which is a telezoom and Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS for lower light but for starters you can get by with the kit lens. People don't like it so much but from my experience its really not as bad as people make it to be, its so small and compact its almost cant be considered pancake lens.
If you have any questions you are welcome to PM me or email me.

Thank you, I will send you a PM shortly!

I dunno...I kinda think that most modern cameras are pretty close. If you really want compact, you have to go mirrorless...however, there are two connected issues to deal with. To really go compact you have to get a smaller sensor like a m4/3. You can get compact bodies like the Sony a6000, but your lenses still have to be big enough to cover the DX sensor so depending on the lens, your not really saving much room.
Cameras have gotten more complicated over the last decade and the sheer amount of options can make your head spin.

1: list a budget you plan to stick to.
2: list features you absolutely have to have.
3: make a list of cameras with the most features on your list within your budget.
4: research each camera to see if its right for the type of photography you want to do the most of. (Could be multiple models that fit)
5: buy a camera
6: take pictures and don't second guess your decision

Before I went to camp without technology for a few days (in Sweden we tend to do that for no reason, haha), I did some research on quite a few cameras. So far, I always end up with two options - either A6000 or EM10 from Olympus. Sony seems superior, but I still have not sold my camera, so I have no budget to spend on a new one. Either way, I can sell either camera for half the budget only, so I am not going to be able to make an immediate purchase anyway yet.

That's a good plan to stick to, and that's kinda how I try to choose things to buy, but if I do regret the decision after - I can't stop feeling things. That's the only problem, and so I have to buy the type of item that I will actually enjoy. Otherwise, I will feel sorry for myself for months, and I can't stop that. So the older I got, the more careful I became with my decisions.

Thanks for a great buying guide though, people should use it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back