Help me choose a digital camera, I'm lost!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Iskalla, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Iskalla

Iskalla TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm getting a digital camera next month (with a limited third-worldish budget) and I've been looking over the internet for cameras that (seem) to be quite good for their price.
    The problem is, I can't really choose one because I have no idea of what a lot of the specs mean. :blushing: I'm a beginner in photography, but I want a nice camera to start with! ;)
    I've asked some people but all I've got are comments like "X is the best brand ever, that's all that matters. Image stabilization? What's that?"
    I would like an honest answer based on the specs and not "fanboy" opinions. :lmao:

So, the cameras I've seen which I think I can afford are these:

Samsung S1050
    Pentax Optio A30
    Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom
    Canon PowerShot SD 900
    Canon PowerShot SX100 IS
    Sony DSC-H3

I've read lots of reviews but they talk about ISO and image stabilization and many stuff that I have no idea. :meh: This is embarrasing, but please, if anyone could help me, I'll apreciate it. :lovey:
    Or maybe you'd like to suggest some other cameras not listed here, that works too! :thumbup:

2. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Hello Iskalla.
    I think all the cameras you hav elisted are point and shoot cameras. Although they can be of high quality, they are not really well suited for some one wanting to explore photography and all it's rewards. I would suggest one of the lower range dlsr's equipped with the kit lens. I'm a nikon user so I know about D40 but I'm sure canon, pentax or even sony have similar products. With the continuous introduction of ever more sophisticated products some earlier model cameras can be had for very reasonable prices. As a nikon example, I recently saw a D70 with 18-55 lens on offer for $300 on a supermarket bulletin board. This type of camera will enable you to explore and learn a lot about creating images. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

3. prairiewindlady

prairiewindlady TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I purchased my Pentax *istDS with a 18-55mm lens off Ebay for a little under $300.

I won't rant about any one brand here. My sister has a Canon Powershot S3, my best friend uses a Canon Rebel XT and my parents use a Nikon 35mm SLR camera. I've seen all of these turn out some pretty amazing shots. However, I personally went with Pentax for the same reason as you. Being 8 months pregnant, married only for about a year, and in college with a dog and a horse to take care of, I was on a pretty tight budget. :) Thus I can tell you that Pentax cameras are easy on your wallet... in that that most newer digital Pentax models are compatible with the old film Pentax k-mount film lenses. In other words you can find a lot of older second-hand lenses for cheap, particularly if you search online on websites like Ebay. Pentax, although not as popular as Canon or Nikon, is an extremely sturdy camera that does particularly well during outdoor shooting.

About other brands. Nikon and Canon are the most popular and will be a little more expensive. But then, you are going to get what you pay for. Kodak/Sony/Samsung/Fujifilm, while they are popular point and shoot name brands, they are not going to be as good Canon, Nikon or Pentax. (And by the way, if you are serious about exploring photography, you would be best off with a SLR).

It's not impossible to find an SLR at an affordable price. Below is a link to a Pentax camera I recently watched on Ebay for a pretty good price. At any rate, don't give up and keep looking. You might not find what you are looking for the first time, but I promise that it's out there!

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-K110D-Di...ryZ30020QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. hamster

hamster TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the previous posters - you may want to check out a used Olympus, such as E-330 or E-500. I know you can get those pretty cheap on ebay.

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    come on guys, he or she is asking for a nice camera for a beginner on low budget. so i would not push too hard into the dSLR direction.

Cannot give any advice on p&s cameras myself though, as I have hardly any experience with them.

6. Matthew Craggs

Matthew Craggs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're on a budget and are looking at a point and shoot, I would recommend looking at the Fuji F50fd. 12MP and really responsive. Just press the shutter and the picture is taken instantly. No waiting two or three seconds to focus. Plus it has a nice, bright LCD and looks pretty.

If you are looking at Pentax I would look at the S10 or Z10 before the A30, but that's just my humble opinion. I'm going off of memory and am not sure what price the A30 is.

7. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i can recomend a powershot s5is, the cam goes around 350.00 on amazon

i had that cam for a week or so and love it. You can go here to know a little more about cams and specially the s5.

:D

god blessed you

8. kalmkidd

kalmkidd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i dont agree with none. ive seen pictures with a fujifilm finepix point and shoot impress me more than a slr, etc .. it doesnt have much to do with the camera is the eye of the taker.

9. simonkit

simonkit TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're wanting to explore photography a little then I would look for a camera with as many manual type settings as possible (aperture/shutter priority etc) - many of the "point & shoot" cameras only have "scene modes" & these will not really help in your learning process

Don't necessarily get hung up on DSLRs - there are some very good "prosumer" options too which, whilst ultimately will not give quite the image quality of a DSLR, will still give to an opportunity to learn at lower cost

A couple of sites worth looking at:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

simon

10. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeap that;s why i told him/her about the s5, you can set all by manual if you want