Help me decide between these two lenses...

nsupanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have picked out two lenses:

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/206435-USA/Canon_6470A006_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_EF.html#reviews

and

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens Canon | Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm | 6469A005 | B&H

Besides the obvious focal length and price differences, which one do you think produces sharper images? I am all about making my pictures look crystal clear!

Any other compares/contrasts that you know of would be helpful! Thanks!

Speed does not necessarily equate to clarity or image quality. A fast lens may allow you to shoot in lower light at similar ISO ratings, but it doesn't necessarily have higher quality optics than a slower lens. You have to compare two lenses of the same focal length and speed and see which one also has the better optical design. There are some "slow"er lenses which have superb IQ.

Generally speaking a shorter range zoom tends to produce sharper images and the super-zooms tend to have some real issues. I have an 18-200 VR which is nice, but definitely has noticable quality problems.

That being said, you really need to look at some lens comparison data to get a real sense. Look here: All Tests / Reviews

on the "fast" thing... generally a faster lense is also made with higher quality optics... so while fast does not directly equate to sharper, it generally indavertantly does.

Well, I guess, let me rephrase my question: which one of the two would you buy and why? I only have two lenses (kit lens and nifty fifty) so I'm not very experienced. I want to grow my lens collection and I'm doing it one-by-one. I definitely want a zoom lens with sharpness as good as I can get it. I also don't want to spend anything more than $400. I know, I know... I shouldn't be so picky ;)

That being said, you really need to look at some lens comparison data to get a real sense. Look here: All Tests / Reviews.
Beat me to the punch....... again. :D

photozone.de is my first reference point for lens review and data. I suggest to bookmark it for future inquiries.

Do you really mean you are looking for a telephoto zoom lens? Or you are planning to replace you kit zoom lens?

Well, I guess, let me rephrase my question: which one of the two would you buy and why? I only have two lenses (kit lens and nifty fifty) so I'm not very experienced. I want to grow my lens collection and I'm doing it one-by-one. I definitely want a zoom lens with sharpness as good as I can get it. I also don't want to spend anything more than $400. I know, I know... I shouldn't be so picky ;)

Well... which one any one of us would buy is kinda irrelevant, really, because everyone shoots different stuff and has different needs.

You did seem to indicate that sharpness was a key factor for you... in which case, check the reviews online and see which one is sharper, and buy that one.

Aside from that, you obviously need to consider things like fit for your general shooting patterns, how much you like/don't like changing lenses, etc.

That being said, you really need to look at some lens comparison data to get a real sense. Look here: All Tests / Reviews.
Beat me to the punch....... again. :D

photozone.de is my first reference point for lens review and data. I suggest to bookmark it for future inquiries.

Friends call me quick-draw McGraw. :)

Have you looked at Sigma or Tamron options?

The new Canon 18-135 is listing at $499 ... might be in your range at "street price", but I don't know much about the lens yet

I am all about making my pictures look crystal clear!
Then you should always use a good sturdy tripod, a remote release and set your lens to the aperture that gives the sharpest focus, usually one of the middle apertures.

One thing that sets pros apart from amateurs is use of a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back