help me decide..

You talking the Nikon 70-200 f/4? Same price as a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, just sayin. Reports are the Tamron is sharper, but the AF is better in the Nikons. I'm pretty sure I'm about to pick up the Tamron. The guy I was supposed to buy a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 from got cold feet, so that's the next best thing for the price I guess.

I thought about the Nikon 70-200 F/4, but at least for me I don't think it would really do much for me that my Tamron 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 won't. If I were shooting APS-C that might change the equation a bit but on the full frame that extra stop really isn't as crucial in most cases.

You talking the Nikon 70-200 f/4? Same price as a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, just sayin. Reports are the Tamron is sharper, but the AF is better in the Nikons. I'm pretty sure I'm about to pick up the Tamron. The guy I was supposed to buy a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 from got cold feet, so that's the next best thing for the price I guess.

I thought about the Nikon 70-200 F/4, but at least for me I don't think it would really do much for me that my Tamron 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 won't. If I were shooting APS-C that might change the equation a bit but on the full frame that extra stop really isn't as crucial in most cases.
That's why I'm suggesting the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 ;)

I have a Nikon 70-200mm f/4 and it is very good indeed.
Not so heavy and ultra sharp, fast and with amazing VR (the VR on the 70-200 f4 is the best VR i've ever used) :D

But if you need the extra stop go for the tamron 2.8...

Cheers

you know its funny.. f/2.8 and f/4 there is definitely a difference but neither one was able to give me a good exposure of the stuff in my closet..

a little later in the day i decided to try a shot that shot at 1.8 to see how different 1.8 was from 2.8. it actually over exposed that image at f 1.8 and i had to lower the ISO to get a good exposure...

so yeah 1.8 is a low light monster. 2.8 and 4.0 are only descent

i will be interested to see how that sigma 50-100 1.8 ends up being.. i mean the 18-35 1.8 is pretty amazing, no chromatic aberration, nice and sharp wide open, great colors, there is really nothing to complain about with that lens.. except if you have a full frame its a DX lens only.. so is the new 50-100 1.8 coming out.

so the lens i get is definitely going to be the sigma 50-100 1.8, the sigma 24-105 f/4 or a 70-200 of some sort lol...

that nikon 70-200 f/4 does look awesome.. a little more than i want to spend though.. not really wanting to buy a used lens. i dont know i bought a used one once and got a bad lens, had to send it back.. i have always had this phobia of buying used camera gear or electronics unless i get it for super cheap or from someone i know took care of it..... lol...

i decided to do a test. nikon 18-200mm with the IS turned on.. and the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 that does not have IS

one photo is taken at F/4, 1/20, 4000 ISO and IS turned on.. the other photo is f/1.8, 1/100, iso 4000 and the lens does not have IS.

if your subject were moving this would not work out well but for a stationary object looks like IS can give you about as good of results as a 1.8 lens.. here are the 2 photos..

20160424-DSC_8819.jpg
20160425-DSC_8830.jpg

I would keep the zoom you have for a while and add a macro and a fisheye, then later swap the zoom.

I would keep the zoom you have for a while and add a macro and a fisheye, then later swap the zoom.

i have some extension tubes and i get great results with them for macro, not really into macro.... i have no interest in a fish eye lens.. i had a 10-20mm lens at one point.. not really my thing either.. more of a general shooting lens is what i am looking for. something that will be descent in low light thew out the whole focal range so something in 2.8 or f/4 is kind of ideal that is if F/4 would be a good choice i do not know.

i have some friends that play in bands. i would like to be able to get some good photos of them playing. there usually in some dark dingy bar.. not sure how well f/4 and my d7200 would do in that situation.. i have photographed them a time or two in the past quite a while ago but i used a flash.. more than likely the flash is not always gonna work. ill have to go out and shoot them with my lens set to 35mm ish where i can use it at f/4 some time and see how that works out.. that way ill know if a f/4 lens will do the trick or not..

i have some extension tubes and i get great results with them for macro, not really into macro.... i have no interest in a fish eye lens.. i had a 10-20mm lens at one point.. not really my thing either.. more of a general shooting lens is what i am looking for. something that will be descent in low light thew out the whole focal range so something in 2.8 or f/4 is kind of ideal that is if F/4 would be a good choice i do not know.

i have some friends that play in bands. i would like to be able to get some good photos of them playing. there usually in some dark dingy bar.. not sure how well f/4 and my d7200 would do in that situation.. i have photographed them a time or two in the past quite a while ago but i used a flash.. more than likely the flash is not always gonna work. ill have to go out and shoot them with my lens set to 35mm ish where i can use it at f/4 some time and see how that works out.. that way ill know if a f/4 lens will do the trick or not..
What??????? Wait................................... your not following the Watchful Way of Photography, but doing your own thing??? :biggrin-93:

If you are looking at dark indoor type things like bands in clubs etc., then an f2.8 would be the route I would go. Yes they are #1 expensive and #2 heavy, but they are also built like a tank, usually have the best optical quality and something that might mean something to you later on, they hold their resale value. 24-70 or 70-200 would be your call depending on the distances you are working with in your venues.

You can get those shots, albeit with some noise, but an unknown band in a dark grimy bar should have some video noose anyways. :)

What??????? Wait................................... your not following the Watchful Way of Photography, but doing your own thing??? :biggrin-93:

If you are looking at dark indoor type things like bands in clubs etc., then an f2.8 would be the route I would go. Yes they are #1 expensive and #2 heavy, but they are also built like a tank, usually have the best optical quality and something that might mean something to you later on, they hold their resale value. 24-70 or 70-200 would be your call depending on the distances you are working with in your venues.

local bands, small venues where i can get right up next to the band.. 70mm may actually be too long unless i want to stop back but than ill be behind all the people, maybe not i would have to do some experimenting... allot of the times i could set back when most of the people are setting down and 70+ mm wold be ok but some times its more of everyone standing, depends on where they are playing.. most of the shots i took of my friends bands a while back were around 50mm or so... i am thinking my 18-35mm would probably be good and something like that 24-105mm would be perfect if the F/4 was gonna give me a good exposure..

Take a look at some of the old pics from CBGB omfug.

Give the 18-35 a shot. It may be the ticket especially being an f1.8. Never shot that lens so I have no experience with it.

My zooms consist of the trifecta, 16-35 f2.8 II, 24-70 f2.8II & 70-200 f2.8 II. Everything else is shoot are primes.

18-35mm at f/1.8 would be pretty handy for APS-C up close. Plus the lens is so huge, you'll look very paparazzi.

18-35mm at f/1.8 would be pretty handy for APS-C up close. Plus the lens is so huge, you'll look very paparazzi.
Seems small to me lol since I mainly do wild life. Lol.

I want it for. Landscapes, portraits, or what ever, I had fun shooting bands so I want to be able to do that as well and I have always liked low light shooting too. Next time I have a day off and a friend's band plays I'll take what I have put and see what mm I tend to be shooting at, so that will be of some help.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is definitely smaller than say, a 150-600mm zoom! But dat lens speed-- f/1.8 in a ZOOM!!!! Wow, that would be nice to have!

Most reactions

Back