help me fix this picture

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
The color isn't as vibrant as I thought it would be. The leaves in the water messed the reflection up and to top it off I wasn't getting nearly enough light. It's a shame because this looked like it would have made a good picture. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix it? I can't zoom much because I only have a 28~90mm lens. I'd like to fix that dark zone where the tree meets the water too. Thanks for looking.

large.jpg

Oh btw I wanted to leave at least some of the other trees in for contrast. Thanks.

I'm afraid there's not very much you can do with this one, Dylan: the sky is blown out.
If you could do it again, I would take 2 exposures, one measured for the highlights/sky, one for the shadow areas, and merge them in Photomatix.

since you didnt say it was okay to edit, I sent you an edited version to try to save this image rather than reshoot it. I devided it in half and did a gamma correct on each half seperately and then intensified the colors on both at different levels. Finally I added some color to the sky. It might not be as good as reshooting it as suggested, but it might give you an idea how to save this image. the sky color can be anything you want of course that was just a quick color from the list.

with these shots, usually the dynamic range is too great for any camera in a single exposure.. you can shoot for the sky, or shoot for the trees.. .

Or you can shoot for each and merge them later on, sometimes it looks natural , many many times it does not look that natural..

but only practice will tell...

Mysteryscribe did a nice job fixing my picture up. I don't quite know how to post it though. I went back there today and realized the only way to make this picture right is to shoot it early in the morning. That's the only time the light is just right. I'm really bummed out about this picture but I did learn a valuable lesson about light so I guess all is not lost.

moz-screenshot.jpg

i think its too simmetric.
and for shooting a reflection you have to do it in the sunset or in *forgot the word*, well when sun goes UP!! +)) at this time water will give you the best polarization effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back