Help Me Get Better At Portraits... Here's My Latest...

theheater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple of self-portraits I took, and wanted to get your feedback... I am trying to get prepared for a couple of portrait sessions this weekend, and figured I needed the practice. What do you all think? These photos were taken with Kodak P880, and in all natural light, I believe in some instances my cheeks are a little blown out from the light, and the shadow are fairly hard... your thoughts, and how can I fix it?

507896354_8b0e5f5185_o.jpg

507896342_5e3a8198a2_o.jpg

Right, your cheeks look a little hot and you absolutly need a fill card and/or reflector if you're shooting in the afternoon. Get one of those close to your subject and it will fill in the shadows and reduce the contrast ratio on the subject dramatically. I suggest you shoot a little later in the day so the light is warmer and use a fill card for fill light in the shadows.

Scrims are also a good idea. They're sheets of pretty much anything that go in between the subject and the light source to diffuse/tone down the intensity.

Even a fill flash dialed down a bit would do well. Also in the second you appear to be staring in the sun. That is both self torture and it makes you squint. Try to balance the lighting against the direction you are looking unless you are going for the squinty look.

You are right... I was torturing myself by staring into the sun... :)

I won't do that again!

I think the glasses help your appearance. Very intelectual (I know it's a myth but hey, take what you can right?)

Most reactions

Back