Help me improve

darkblue-x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will provide an Original and it's Final that I just recently posted.
To me it's a nice photo but it's just missing that spark for me....
Please provide me any detail about how I could have made this better and feel free to edit and show me.

Dropbox - DSC_0785.jpg

Dropbox - IMG_20170813_195816_806.jpg

edit: I'm aware it's JPG. I only shoot in NEF now, so please disregard mentioning that part.

My computer can NOT recognize your images. Very weird.

My computer can NOT recognize your images. Very weird.
That is indeed quite strange. These are as they say, Dropbox links and they are Jpgs...

You'll get far more in the way of reaction if you either upload the images to the forum directly or through Flickr using the

YES, take the time and 'effort' to upload the images you ask for hgelkp with HERE, not off-site...especially since your images are NON-standard....they might be .JPGs on your end, but my copy of Lightroom reports they can NOT be read. I've been downloading images since the 1990's...not like I cannot handle a .JPG....and I am a DropBox paying member as well.

Wondered why you have zero participation?
NON-stanrdard "jpeg" on DropBox.jpg

I probably rather the original. Seems at a glance the contrast is just cranked in the edited one. Not much changed.
Why a photo of someones back while theyvare apparantly sneezing I will never understand. Have her turn around would be a start :)

I probably rather the original. Seems at a glance the contrast is just cranked in the edited one. Not much changed.
Why a photo of someones back while theyvare apparantly sneezing I will never understand. Have her turn around would be a start :)
I was talking to her brother and sister on the other side, she was about to walk up to the ledge, and they were taking photos of her from the other side, so she wasn't exactly posing for me. I asked if it was alright to snap a couple for Instagram, she said sure.
She wasn't sneezing, she put her hand up to her mouth/nose and was kind of in awe of the view/scared of the height.
Thanks for the feedback.

The original is better. Your focus is slight off as well. Here's a quick edit that took a few minutes. Increased exposure and contrast a bit. Lowered highlights, increased whites and a touch of saturation. Used her grey sweater to get white balance and sharpened.

CPcWIJP-4.jpg

Last edited:
The biggest issue I see is the focus. It appears to be focused on the leaves in the foreground.
Other than that I just adjusted the whites up a bit and cropped it.

crop.jpg

Ok, focus is soft on the entire frame other then the leaves in the forground. If you had used a different smaller aperture, or settings to allow more DOF, this would have been overall better, or short DOF and focused (no pun intended) on the "model".....would have been more to my liking. Secondly, the pose is quite strange. If she had not een holding her hand to her face it would have been better as well. I also would have played withgmaybe some color pop or maybe even made it mono...who knows.

Poor light direction and poor light quality are the biggest problem the shot has.
The point of focus wasn't on the girl, likely because of the focus mode & focus area area mode you had the camera set to.

Composition wise the image is weak because the main subject is to central for the gaze out the right side of the frame.
Crop so the leaves above and on the right side of the frame create a frame-in-frame effect.
Burn (darken) the background so she is better separated.

A quick and dirty edit to illustrate the above suggestions:
CPcWIJPeditbykmh.jpg

To me it's a nice photo but it's just missing that spark for me....
You should have your subject doing something more interesting or something to engage the viewer. Next; frame your subject so she is more prominent in the frame. The pose is not the best.
Next; focus on your subject, and expose the shot correctly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back