Help me make this better (Crystal Flute w/ Smoke)

7/24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife is a flutist. I wanted to give her a shot of her crystal flute for a birthday gift. Please offer your suggestions on how I can make this shot better. Or, should I leave it alone and print?

4602777994_6c435795b6.jpg

Last edited:
Just noticed that the photo was missing. (fixed) Now I hope to start seeing some replies as opposed to just views.

I kind of see what you were trying to do, but I think it would have looked way better if it was a nice sharp smoke trail, you've seen 'em before, this one looks blurry. I also think it's so standard, it's right in the middle and closely cropped. Surely, there are so many more angles you could have tried (or picked).

The floral decorations on the flute are overexposed. It's not good in a relatively close-up shot to have details blown out.

The smoke does look interesting but I think it would take many many shots until you get one that you really like.

In this shot I don't like that the smoke is cut off. I'd try to catch one "blast" of smoke.

In regards, to composition I'd also play around since you have the flute dead center. Move it maybe a bit off center depending on how the smoke "behaves".

Nice idea and otherwise the set-up seems to work.

Most reactions

Back