Help me pick a lens

ISHUTTER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I mainly shoot pictures of motocross races and I am currently using a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a ef 75-300 lens.What is everyones opinion on the quality of this lens?I am thinking about getting an IS lens but need help in determining if it will be that much better than my current lens.I keep thinking that this lens is not producing the quality pictures my camera is capable of.What do you think?

Ok,after doing a little research I determined that the lens I currently have is not very good(I guess you do get what you pay for lol).I looked at a Sigma 50-500 lens today and the salesman told me it has an image stabilizer but I couldn't verify it on the lens or the box.What are your thoughts on this lens for the type of photography I plan on using it for?

Hello,
I am brand new in this forum and quite new with photography, but if i understand your problem well (excuse my syntax...), you want more stabilyty since you are using a tele lense. Why don't you by a tripod or a monopod which are cheaper than the lense, since i don't believe that the IS feature will that steady at 500mm?
Still i would be interested to hear the opinion of a more experienced photographer since as i said i am a newbie.:er:

ISHUTTER said:
Ok,after doing a little research I determined that the lens I currently have is not very good(I guess you do get what you pay for lol).I looked at a Sigma 50-500 lens today and the salesman told me it has an image stabilizer but I couldn't verify it on the lens or the box.What are your thoughts on this lens for the type of photography I plan on using it for?

I think you may find that this lens might not be bright enough or sharp enough. The mega-long zooms don't tend to perform quite as well as the "ordinary" zooms, like 100-400 or 70-300 etc. A fixed aperture, image stabilised lens of a shorter range will do a better job, but whether it's within your budget is another matter.

I have the Canon 100-400 IS L and it's great.

Hope this helps.

Rob

ISHUTTER said:
I looked at a Sigma 50-500 lens today and the salesman told me it has an image stabilizer but I couldn't verify it on the lens or the box.What are your thoughts on this lens for the type of photography I plan on using it for?
This is a good lens. People usually call it "the bigma" because of it's size. The quality is similar to the higher priced canon 100-400 and you get some extra range. You don't want to handhold it any longer than you have to.

There's no IS. Don't shop at that place... If you come in there - keep in mind that everything they tell u is pure bs.

It should be fine for motocross racing, but too slow for everything else. Evening light might not be enough.

All 70-300 or 75-300 zooms are crap. Cheap plastic.

100-400 is a nice lens and has the IS. But it costs a little more than the bigma.

What focal length do you need? There's also 100-300 f/4 from sigma and a few 70-200s which are lighter on the budget.

Thanks for the replies.I do a fair amount of shooting without a tripod and after some thought and research,I think the 'bigma" may not be the best lens for me.I am pretty much looking at the Canon 70-200 "L" series 2.8 and the sigma 70-200 ex 2.8.What are your thoughts on which one would be a better choice and why?I am liking the price of the Sigma.

Well,I purchased a lens today.I went with the Canon ef 70-200 f/2.8L IS :wink: This will be my first nice quality lens ever.I can't wait to try it out.:thumbup:

You might also consider picking up the 1/4x TC. Coupled with your new 70-200 2.8, it will give you a 98-200 f/4 IS, which will give you back that 100mm you are losing from the lens you are used to losing. You'll still be a stop brighter too.

For the times when you just can't get close enough with 200mm.

Digital Matt said:
You might also consider picking up the 1/4x TC. Coupled with your new 70-200 2.8, it will give you a 98-200 f/4 IS, which will give you back that 100mm you are losing from the lens you are used to losing. You'll still be a stop brighter too.

For the times when you just can't get close enough with 200mm.

Thanks for that tip.

Most reactions

Back