Help me pick an entry DSLR!

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a good entry DSLR. I know it's been discussed again and again, but my situations a little different. I've been learning on my SX120IS P&S, but there's only so much I can do with it, so I'm looking for an inexpensive entry level DSLR.

Candidates:

Nikon D3000
Sony Alpha A230
Canon 1000D

A guy in town is selling his 1000d. He wants $375 for it with the kit lense (I haven't negotiated yet though.) He says it's barely used. <1000 shutters. I can the the Sony NEW for $350...

I definately want something with bracketing. That's something that my SX120IS doesn't have. Basically just something that I can learn on easily over the next few years.

Opinions?
Thanks for looking!
:hug::

Sorry, I missed it. How is your situation a little different?

I can get one of the choices locally used, but I'm not sure if that's a good price...

Eaney Meaney Miney Mo... Catch a camera by the toe...

Any of these will be a great entry SLR...

I prefer Canon. But that is strictly personal preference....

So they all pretty much do the same things. I did notice the Sony has 9 AF points vs. the other's 7. Is that a big difference?

I would say pick up a factory refurbished Nikon D3000 kit if it's all you can afford. With the new D3100 body that was just announced a few days ago (maybe a week by now?) D3000 prices are sure to fall. Especially considering the pretty radical changes/improvements from the D3000 to D3100.

If you can stand to wait, I'd say buy a D90 instead. Or wait until the D90 replacement is announced, when D90 prices will also fall.

note: Any of those cameras will do nearly (or just as) good as the other two, I'm just a Nikon guy. :mrgreen:

:popcorn:
Beat ya to it Bitter.

:popcorn:
Beat ya to it Bitter.

Expecting a fight to ensue?
I have no preference on brand at this point so there will be no arguing from me...
:greenpbl:

I'd buy the Canon 1000D. There are lots of cheap lenses for Canon.

NO! Not another Canon vs Nikon thread! *headdesk*

:banghead:

No...the OP just wants help picking between three lower end cameras...the D3000 doesn't impress me much...the 1000D seems like a good beginner's camera...the Sony is a Sony,and has all the issues that Sony cameras have...limited lens selection, oddball flash foot, almost no resale value...the older Minolta A-mount lenses are going up ridiculously in price...seems like a pretty clear choice for a person who is not system-committed that the 1000D would be the best entry-level camera of the three choices, especially when the alternate options are two of Nikon and Sony's lowest spec'd models. It's kind of like the choice between a Canadian Bacon and pineapple pizza (the Canon 1000D), or a mushroom and anchovy pizza, and a cucumber and ground anchovy pizza...

Please take note of who is suggesting that the OP buy a CANON, so there need be no compact flash confusion,etc,etc. No fanboys need apply...

Check out Olympus E-520 or E-600. Used they are a bargin.

Im not a fan of the AF on the Sony. Nikon and Canon are nice. I would steer clea of the AF-S Nikons though. Get a AF and you will be good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back