Help me pick between 2 canon L zooms...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Riggaberto, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Battle of the Ls...appreciate the advice!

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Vs.

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Gah. So expensive, but I think I've convinced my mother to go for it (don't laugh, I'm 18 and it's my graduation present)

So far I'm leaning towards the 24-105 because it has the IS, a bigger range, and I don't think I would need the extra f stops for anything other than a hand holdable shutter speed, which the IS should cover, no? (I've never used an IS lens)

The idea of being able to switch from very wide angle to portrait range is pretty incredible...I'm leaning heavy towards the 24-105, but the other lens is fairly similar, is there any reason to consider it?

For those who didn't see my other thread, this lens will be my primary lens for general picture taking, to compliment a 70-200 f/4 L that I can borrow most of the time. This includes everything from portraits, to long exposures at night, to hiking, street, and nature photography. The lens will be on a (film) Canon Rebel Ti.

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I would say that if you're going for a general lens and you WON'T be guaranteed the 70-200 whenever you need it, go with the 24-105. But, if you're looking for an "on your own" set of equipment, you do have access to the 70-200, AND money isn't an object with this lens, I would think the 24-70 would be a be a better purchase. One reason I can think of (besides those implied above) is that even if you won't use the f/2.8 (you don't need the full aperture), then you can stop it down and it would be sharper at the same focal length and aperture as the f/4 lens.

Just my current thinking, though I'm interested in how this thread plays out since I'm trying to decide on a long-term lens-buying plan at the moment.

3. SaSi

SaSi TPF Noob!

The 24-70/4 is a better lens compared to the 24-105.

Longer zoom range imposes design compromises that have impact on the IQ and performance, f/4 vs f/2.8 being one of the hints.

For a digital crop 1.6x camera, the 70mm is pretty good for a portait lens and f/2. is considered essential for bluring the background.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd go for the F2.8 over the IS, depending on what you are shooting.

IS is great, it really does help you to get sharp shots when shooting hand held and slower shutter speeds. However, those slow shutter speeds won't freeze subject movement...so even if the shot would be free from camera shake at 1/15...any movement by the subject will cause blur. The bigger aperture will give you a faster shutter speed, which will help freeze both types of movement.

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had to make the same decision half a year ago. Decided for the 24-105, knowing that the optical quality of the 24-70 is slightly better and the f/2.8 are really nice.

So far I did not regret it. the 24-105 is the lens I have on the camera when I do not know what I will encounter next. And it did help me getting a picture of that little critter once in a while which would have been gone by the time I had my tele lens screwed onto the camera.

IS does help on the long end of the zoom.

of course distortion is evident at 24mm and at 105 ... but for 105 it most of the time does not matter for me, and at 24mm, if it is an architecture shot. I tend to use my 17-40 anyway since it has less distortion.

6. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not convinced the optical quality of the 24-70 is better than the 24-105. When looking at similar images you I can't tell the difference with my eyes! Both superb lenses.

If you shoot MOVING subjects in low light the 24-70 will be the better lens but not by much. If you shoot static subjects in low light then the IS will be a huge benefit.

The lesser weight, extra range, IS and superb IQ of the 24-105 was my preferred lens but I was also influenced by the fact I also have the excellent Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as a backup.

Tough choice.

7. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll say. Thanks for the imput everyone, very useful advice so far. I'm almost thinking about looking into the tamrons, just because I've heard such horrible things about canon quality control. On the fredmiranda reviews, both get reviews consistently that say that both of those Ls are soft....

8. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Neither of these Ls are soft!! Probably from people who are shooting RAW and don't realise all digital files require a small amount of sharpening!

Both of these Ls are supersharp! and build quality is excellent. I love all my Ls

9. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Canon 24-70 L and love it.
    It's a tremendous lens and rarely off my camera.

As has already been pointed out IS purely for reducing camera shake - as soon as your light levels drop and the subject is moving f2.8 becomes a huge advantage over f4

Images can be soft but only when its user error!!!
    The 24-70 is super sharp as is my 70-200 L.

Never heard of quality control problems with Canon lenses although i appreciate that now and again they'll produce a dud.

I can't really advise to go for one or the other since i've only used one of them. However i can say that if you go for the 24-70 you won't be disappointed.
    :thumbup:

10. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    24-70mm versus 24-105mm debates have been extremely common across several photography boards on the internet. So there's a whole book of opinions out there to read of you choose to do so.

I too was faced with the same decision and in the end the 24-105 reigned better for my needs. I was fortunate enough to borrow a 24-70 for a few hours at a family get together. During my decision process, I realized that these two lenses have different intentions. I like to think the 24-70mm as a fast sports car and the 24-105mm as an extremely capable utility vehicle. As such, their purpose and how they are used are fairly different. The one thing that I am certain is that neither is perfect and both have excellent IQ. Its just a matter of deciding which one best fits your needs.

24-70 has that fast f2.8 aperture at an increased weight and shorter focal length.

24-105 has IS, lighter weight, longer focal length at a sacrifice of a slower max aperture.

For me... I was looking for a great walk around, do everything lens. This is why the 24-105mm lens reigned supreme. It is lighter and easier to pack. The 24-70mm range felt too narrow for general use. The extra 1 stop of the 24-70mm was nice in low-light but IS was a welcomed feature in all sorts of situations. I also have a set of fast primes at my disposal so the extra ONE stop the 24-70mm gave me was not all that important. I almost always have my 50mm f1.4 packed and ready to go once I go indoors... and thats a couple stops faster.

So there you have it.... One of the best general use lenses from Canon=24-105mm F4 IS USM. One fast zoom with a history of good reports = 24-70mm f2.8 USM.

Judging from you post above, it looks like you are looking for a utility vehicle of a lens. I would recommend the 24-105mm F4 IS USM but throw in the 50mm f1.4 (or f1.8) prime in your bag as well.

If you notice from the posts above (and in other threads on the internet) people with the 24-70mm lens will always rave about one thing: low light use. Now its up to you to decide if thats important enough to outweigh the 24-105mm.

11. I ended up with the 24-70mm a year ago, after asking the same question. I shoot pictures of my family with it - perfect for capturing children and general portraits, but wide enough (on my 5D) to get some architecture and landscapes. At this point it is my default lens on the Canon, and only change lenses if a specific situation calls for it.

12. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm assuming that 24-70/4 that you meant f2.8 and f/2 (which I believe you mean f2.8) is not essential for bluring the background.

I don't know.. this sounds like general statement(s) that might or might not necessarily be true. Shorter focal length range doesn't automatically qualify it as a better lens. Neither does a faster aperture automatically qualify it as a better lens.

Those are loose statements that could bring dissappointment if thats what guides your purchase decision.