WesVFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wesvfx.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys/gals...

I need to purchase a tripod for my T1i, but am sort of unsure where to start...

I don't wanna spend a TON of money, but somewhere around $150 is my budget...

What do you guys recommend?

I am sort of looking at these two because they are carbon fiber and lighter...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Manfrot...ipod/9422378.p?id=1218102738231&skuId=9422378

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...ipod/9363119.p?id=1218093003220&skuId=9363119

I know the Manfrotto is supposed to be a really good brand, but it's also got a pretty steep price. Never heard of the Rocketfish...?

Last edited:
That Manfrotto is more expensive, partially because it's Carbon Fiber.
They use Carbon Fibre to save weight, which is good when you are doing some serious hiking and counting every ounce.

But if you don't need to save that weight, you can save a lot of money with an alluminum tripod.

Another thing to think about is the head. With higher end tripods, the head and the legs are interchangeable and can be bought separately. It's mostly a personal decision, some people like a 3-way head and some like a ball head.

I'd suggest something like THIS, or THIS.

A major consideration is how much weight you'll be mounting on the tripod, not just now, but in the foreseeable future too.

Ideally, you want a tripod that has a weight hook so you can hang your gear bag from the hook to maximally stabilize the tripod (lower CG).

So you need to include that weight when you look at the maximum weight capacity of any tripod you're considering.

I go by the rule that the tripod needs to have a maximum capacity of at least 3 times the heaviest camera/lens combo you will foreseeably mount on the tripod. (to allow for the additional weight on the hook for added stability)

Consider other features like, multiple leg angles, reversable center column, optional feet, carry bag, tool kit, etc.

I recommend www.giottos.com and look at the MT line of aluminum tripods.

That Manfrotto is more expensive, partially because it's Carbon Fiber.
They use Carbon Fibre to save weight, which is good when you are doing some serious hiking and counting every ounce.

But if you don't need to save that weight, you can save a lot of money with an alluminum tripod.

Another thing to think about is the head. With higher end tripods, the head and the legs are interchangeable and can be bought separately. It's mostly a personal decision, some people like a 3-way head and some like a ball head.

I'd suggest something like THIS, or THIS.

I like the 190XB as well, but I feel its max height is a bit too low at 57"

I believe Rocketfish is just Best Buy's exclusive or in-house brand. I'd consider it an off-brand for all intents and purposes, personally. I know I've seen a lot of cables and A/V type stuff from them in BB stores, but I really don't know of anything like a tripod from them.

I just found and ordered this KILLER Bogen Manfrotto tripod with head, ill prob sell the head for a different one though....the legs are a 055mfv which is the older version of the 055CXPRO3 it is $288 but you get 10%-15% cashback when you use bing cash back Bogen 700RC2 - 055MFV Tripod - Tripods at Binoculars you need to go through hayneedle for the bing cashback

I hope this is not against the forum rules but I just happen to have a Manfrotto 3020BPRO with a 3021 head for sale. The condition is like new. I have an older 3020 I use and like better because of some modifications I've made. The one I want to sell is like new. Both the tripod and head. The new model # for it is 055. If your interested PM me and I'll send some pictures. I'll sell both for $179 + $10 shipping.

It's a little more than you want to spend, but I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 498RC2 Ball Head, and it's awesome! I'm really glad I spent the extra money. It's a little over $300 total if I remember right.

sorry, the deal i found now says out of stock

I hope this is not against the forum rules but I just happen to have a Manfrotto 3020BPRO with a 3021 head for sale. The condition is like new. I have an older 3020 I use and like better because of some modifications I've made. The one I want to sell is like new. Both the tripod and head. The new model # for it is 055. If your interested PM me and I'll send some pictures. I'll sell both for $179 + $10 shipping.

There you go! Good deal there!

Hi, I am new here and am also looking to purchase a tripod. I really like the manfrotto 190 XPROB has a lot of features that will work for outdoor work and is easy to use; any thoughts on this one? I have a Canon 20D and several different lens, do a lot of outdoor shooting, I am looking at a couple used ones since I am on a budget but want to invest now rather than buy something cheap and then just end up spending more later. Thanks in advance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back