Help me plan my trip to NYC next month

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Destin, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys I'm planning a trip to NYC with my girlfriend next month. We'll be crashing on long island with some family and taking the train into the city each morning. Planning 2-3 days in the city.

On the list of things to do/see so far:
    B&H Photo (my pilgrimage to photo mecca)
    Empire State Building
    Statue of Liberty
    9/11 museum

I'm looking for other cool places to check out. I'm also looking for some recommendations on places to take photos from, especially at night. I'd like to get up high for a night shot over the city but I understand that's hard to do. Anyone know of any spots?

Any tips for traveling through the city with a camera? Is it even worth bringing a tripod since most places don't allow them.. or should I just bring my platypod instead?

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

DO NOT GO INTO B&H!!! :aiwebs_016:

At least not on the first day, if you want to have any money left over for the rest of the trip! :345:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yay! NYC! WOO!

Nix the tripod. Unless you have a very specific shot that you absolutely need, it's just dead weight. Plus, you won't be allowed to set it up most places. Setting it up on sidewalks will be a hindrance to those in the city. Walking is their mode of transportation.

When are you going (days of week)? B&H is closed on Saturdays.

Other cool places to check out.
    • Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (hint, mornings are emptier. Also hint, you share it with bicyclists, so be cognizant of this when walking to avoid collisions.)
    • Go to Brooklyn Bridge Park and the whole DUMBO area
    • Subways, all subways (yes, you're allowed to photograph, despite what some people say)
    • Bryant Park
    • Central Park
    • Columbus Circle
    • 34th street
    • The High Line
    • Any number of piers along the western side
    If you're feeling adventurous:
    • Depending on when you go, Smorgasburg
    • Coney Island
    • Williamsburg
    If you're feeling spendy, try to get a helicopter tour?

Two high spots that are easily accessible, but costly, would be Empire State Building, Top of the Rock. But hey, you're going there on vacay.

Also, taxis really aren't that pricey if you need to go long distances. They sure can beat taking multiple trains and transferring lines. But, taking the subway is always fun. Don't hog the poles, and make sure to let people off before you get on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OGsPhotography

OGsPhotography No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Double deck bus tour. Yeah its touristy but its a great ride and you get upbhigher for some photos.

rickshaw ( Times Square)

horse n buggy ( central park)

Boat cruise ( statue if liberty)

My advice is basically modes of transportation haha.

Take her to a Broadway show.

• Like Like x 2
  5. waday

Photos OK to edit
    That's a good idea! There's also the Ikea Ferry (which goes from Manhattan to Red Hook, Brooklyn (leaves from South Street Seaport).

• Like Like x 1
  6. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Top of the Rock. I prefer that to the ESB because from the Rock you can take photos of the ESB which is so much a part of that iconic NYC look. If you time it right and your gf has patience (or is also a photo hound), you go up there just before sunset.

You'll get some great high up shots of the city before during and after sunset. You can get an overview of Central Park from up there and the Statue of Liberty in the distance plus a good view of the ESB. If I'm remembering right, there were a few spots to rest your camera in lieu of a tripod. Maybe bring a bean bag to cushion it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I know ESB doesn't allow tripods. Anyone know if top of the rock does?

I'll be bringing my platypod pro with a ball head on it which will be perfect to set on ledges and such, so I'm thinking it'll be my primary camera stabilization. But I also have a small tripod I'd consider bringing along if they allow them and it would help.

She doesn't want to go to a show.. but she wants to go to the MET. Not really my cup of tea but she puts up with my photography so I can't complain too much haha

• Like Like x 1
  8. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Top of the Rock does not allow tripods.

Bring a tripod if you want for some night shots if you're in some of the parks (Brooklyn Bridge Park--or even Hamilton Park in Weehawken, NJ), but you're going to have a tough time in many other locations outside of parks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    two things to remember: everyone in NYC has a camera; everyone in NYC is in your way.

B&H? you dont wanna go to 42nd street photo?!?!

I just went a few weeks ago. I could have spent an entire day in Central Park.

I'd suggest a river "cruise" to see Liberty. We took the Liberty Cruise from Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises. It's an hour long takes you down the river and back. Really good vantage of the statue. splurge from the premium seats. I wanted to take the Landmarks tour, but the times didn't work out for us.

Top of the Rock is cool. And so is Rockefeller area.

I did MET and MOMA in one day before. I guess they are cool if youre into looking at things. I wanted to go to the school of photography's museum this year, but didnt get the chance.

Times Square is filthy and full of people -- it's basically Hollywood anymore (that's not a good thing). Walk through if you've never been, but don't waste time on crap like the M&M store. But you can walk through, see 5th avenue, see bryant park and the library, and see union station.

The High Line looked really neat. Didnt make it.

If Chulluy is still at the Botanical Gardens, you may wanna hit up Brooklyn. I'd also go to the zoo (either Brooklyn or central park).

If your're going to 9/11 mem, then you can do the top of Tower One -- but top of Rock is actually outdoor, not just top floor.

Where's the talk of food?!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Agree!

Street carts for lunch! YUM!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    HALAL GUYS to be specific. they are on ever corner of Manhattan with long lines for a reason. They've also recently franchised and two locations are near me here in VA, and taste just as good -- and less pigeon poo to deal with.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. waday

Photos OK to edit

Do you mean The Halal Guys?