Help me prioritize accessories.

Felix0890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought my first DSLR, a Rebel XSi. It comes with the basic essentials and no accessories. I figured that for now, I need the following:

-Tripod
-Upgrade memory card (Have a couple of 1g's and a 4g's) - I don't know how many good pictures I will be able to fit in a 4g so I don't know if an upgrade is needed.
-Carrying bag/case
-Flash
-Extra Lens (This one comes with a kit lens)
-Anything else that I might need (please let me know if there's anything else)

I have a part-time job (college student) so my income is pretty low. I can't afford to buy all the things I'll need at once. In which order do you guys think I should buy these? I can probably have everything within a couple of months. Also, any brand recommendations would be welcomed and appreciated.

-Felix

P.S. I'll keep the list updated with recommendations.

Last edited:
flash. ideally a nice unit that works on the body with swivel and tilt and a cactus wireless system. if you dont have the money for all that you could always pickup an older generation flash, any brand, and use it off camera with the cactus system which is cheap at $32. the brand of the flash wont matter so much, just dont mount it on the camera if it's not compatible and do make sure it will work with the cactus system, there's a list of compatible flash units on their site.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16766&cat=274&page=1

flash. ideally a nice unit that works on the body with swivel and tilt and a cactus wireless system. if you dont have the money for all that you could always pickup an older generation flash, any brand, and use it off camera with the cactus system which is cheap at $32.

So the built-in flash is not recommended?

stick w/ just the camera for a while

you don't need a larger card either... 4gb holds 200+ raws...

after you've been using it for a while, youll see then what your priorities become... cuz that's pretty much dependant on what kind of stuff you like to shoot...

so yea... don't buy anything yet... you'll know when you need something....

Spare battery!
Circular polarizing filter if you plan on much outdoor work.

I would suggest a flash first. Maybe a 430ex... you can find them on craigslist for around 170 ( what I got mine for ) then a lens would be real nice. Maybe a 50mm 1.8. its a 100 bucks new on amazon and is FAR sharper than your kit lens and you can do a lot more artistic things with it. I tripod would be nice if you are taking pics of any scenery or anything in lowlight situations. I have a nice tripod and I don't find myself using it all that often.

Hope this helps.

If you can't afford a flash right now (like me) on ebay they have this gary fong diffuser for the pop-up flash. It's not the greatest but it's a cheap help until us poor get a real flash Lol. I have the same camera and I usually just go to ebay and put the camera in the search bar and see what pops up. I get the cheap things like the hand strap, a little cheap tripod, that little sun protector. Just little things to help out until I can get the good stuff. But I do like the diffuser a lot, ecspecially for indoor shooting.

Spare battery!
Circular polarizing filter if you plan on much outdoor work.

Filters are really cheap so I didn't bother to add them to the list. I live in Miami (super sunny all the time) so filters are right at the top of the To-Buy list.

A gary fong diffuser. It's like 20bucks on ebay. It's not the greatest but it helps when you shoot indoors. I usually put my camera (same camera XSI) in the search on ebay and I just look at what's cheap and what can help. You can get a cheap little tripod, hand grip and a flower lens hood. I just get the things that help out a little bit until I can afford the better things(a flash).

Hey whats up. I'm pretty close to miami myself. I spare battery is nice to have by i wouldn't say a first priority. If you like to shoot in low light then a tripod for sure but you could either get a nifty fifty(50mm f/1.8) which will be faster in low light or just get a flash which you will find comes in handy in many places and allows you to get very creative. It would be pretty neat to have a tripod and get a nice night shot of the MIA cityscape with the cars in motion. GL with you purchases. btw what college are you attending?
tj

I guess I can have Flash and Tripod at the top of the list.

I go to FIU for now. And yes, the cityscape will be one of my first subjects. :D

Extra Batteries and Memory Cards, shoot lots, shoot what interests you, then you will know what else you need!

If you buy all the bells and whistles, then you have a closet full of bells and whistles!

Extra Batteries and Memory Cards, shoot lots, shoot what interests you, then you will know what else you need!

If you buy all the bells and whistles, then you have a closet full of bells and whistles!

I have to disagree with you on all the memory cards. He's not shooting weddings or anything where he is constantly on the shutter and runs out of space fast. Chances are he will be doing some shooting around town and coming back home and uploading the pictures and still having plenty of room on the card. Batteries unless he will be shooting tons at night or out all day long an extra battery is not as high of a priority as lets say a flash or good tripod.

And Denny I don't know if he will need a bag right away. I wouldn't consider that an essential because you could always put your gear in any type of bag and keep it well protected but a flash you don't just have one lying around and same goes for a tripod. GL and can't wait to see those cityscapes!
Tj

Most reactions

New Topics

Back