Help me prioritize accessories.

Only if you're buying it from a certain dealer who's simply trying to rip people off because the flash is discontinued...

Well..I quoted that from Amazon..

You need a good tripod if you want to be remotely serious about taking good pictures, period.

I disagree. Amazing photos can be taken without ever buying a tripod.

While on the topic of tripods, are there ones that are compact enough to be carried everywhere in a bag?

If you get a Lowepro Flipside (200 or 300 model) bag, ot will carry all of your equipment (tons of room in the 300) and has a tripod carrier built into the front of the bag so it will also cary your tripod. :thumbup:

Mark

I never new the importance of a flash. I have recently looked at some macro tutorials and a flash can be good in almost any light. seems important!

There is a 50mm 1.8 right now in the buy and sell forum "near mint" condition for $50.00. If I hadn't bought one a couple weeks ago it would be mine already. I'm guessing by the time the OP reads this it will be gone, lets see.

*sigh* It's still there. I would buy it if I hadn't spent all of my savings on the XSi. I won't get enough money for anything for another 2 weeks. There will always be more deals in this economy, though. ;)

If you can't afford the a flash right now, I would say buy a gary fong diffuser. I got one on ebay for 20 bucks. It's not the greatest in the world but it helps when shooting indoors.

So umm . . . there was this thing that happened with paypal where the seller got the money but paypal didn't take anything from my bank . . . Guess I get to buy everything I need at once now! :D

It was brought up that the nifty fifty in the classifieds is FD. There was about 6 posts before somebody noticed. So it might not sell as quickly.

Sorry for the double post, but why the heck would you buy that when you can get an SB-900 NEW for $469.

It has to do with the fact that the SB900 overheats with heavy use. Wedding photographers have reported all kinds of problems with them dying after a hundred shots or something and having to wait for them to cool down.

The SB800 apparently doesn't do this while producing pretty close to the same amount of light.

I'd go with a battery first. You can get a 3rd party battery cheap on e-bay. If you find a cheap card on Newegg, then pick that up too.

The 50mm f/1.8 will teach you a lot about shooting technique, and it will teach you what you want. If you find you want to be closer, wider, brighter, or steadier, then you'll know if you want a lens, flash, or tripod.

Most reactions

Back