help me save my film

danielsmith4213

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dannytsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found an old Rollei 35se in my girlfriends garage and decided to see if it would work. I finished the roll and accidently advanced the film one too many times, separating the negatives from the film canister. I knew there was a problem because I couldn't feel any tension when I tried to roll it up. Would it be possible to get the negatives back into the canister so I can get them developed? If anyone knows any secret techniques I would be very grateful :D

You should be able to put it back in the canister, but you would have to do it in the dark and take the old canister apart, or just get a new one (which is probably a better idea).

You might also be able to just take the film out, roll it up, and put it in a plastic film container (the black kind, not the clear ones). Maybe tape it up real good too, just to make sure it doesn't come open in the light.

Then take that to a lab that won't just open it up in the light, lol.

I've never had that happen before, but I think that's what I would do.

Someone else might have a better idea...

Just make sure that wherever you take it can open it in the dark and get it processed without letting it into the light first.

I know a lot of the 1 hour labs just extract the leader, so the employee never actually handles the film until it comes out of the machine. I don't know if they would know what to do with a roll of film in a plastic canister.

Just make sure they can do it before giving them the film. I don't see why they couldn't. Just depends on who's behind the counter, I guess.

Photography dealers would have a "changing bag", pretty cheap, remove film from camera and go with the other posters instructions. H

This is a long shot but I would be inclined to try it if you haven't already - flip out the rewind crank and gently turn it in the direction of the arrow just to check that the advance mechanism hasn't declutched. If it has, you are in luck - although as Harry says any decent photo lab (even a minilab) should have a changing bag for just such an event as recovering a detached film.

Good luck (oh, and the 35 SE is a very fine camera!)
Helen

I found an old Rollei 35se in my girlfriends garage and decided to see if it would work. I finished the roll and accidently advanced the film one too many times, separating the negatives from the film canister. I knew there was a problem because I couldn't feel any tension when I tried to roll it up. Would it be possible to get the negatives back into the canister so I can get them developed? If anyone knows any secret techniques I would be very grateful :D

You can save it with a reloadable film cassette and in total darkness (via
a changing bag, closet, under blankets at night, etc)

Open up the re-loadable cassette, remove the spool and, in total
darkness, open the camera and tape the start of the film to the spool.
Replace the spool, put the cap back on the cassette and put the whole
thing back in the camera and re-wind as usual.

If you don't process your own film you'll have to tell the lab what's inside
the cassette.

You can buy 5 plain reloadable cassettes from Freestyle for $4:
Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back