help me spend money

chado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to photography, but very interested. I have to buy a DSLR for my residency. I will be taking mostly intra oral photographs, with some profile shots of patients before and after surgery. It was recommended that I purchase a canon 30D with canon 100mm macro lens and the MR-14 ring flash. So I have a few questions

1. is this a good camera to buy or should i look at Nikon?
2. is this a good lens (i need 1:1 pictures for lecturing) and good color reproduction.
3. i would also like to use this camera for general shooting, ie vacation, events, etc. What other lens should i buy for general shooting?

I would like to spend around $2500 and thank you for all your help this forum is awesome.

1. is this a good camera to buy or should i look at Nikon?

That is completely up to the opinions of people. You will get a thousand different answers to that one.

2. is this a good lens (i need 1:1 pictures for lecturing) and good color reproduction.
It will give you a 1:1, and from what I have heard (actually waiting to get this lens myself), it produces rather nicely considering it is not an "L" lens

Sounds like a good set up to me. I'm sure someone can recommend an equal set up from Nikon that will before just as well but it is all personal preference.

Some good lens options for vacation shooting: 17-85 IS USM f/4-5.6, 17-55 IS USM f/2.8, 28-105, or the kit lens (18-55) would do just fine.

The difference between Canon and Nikon is all personal taste, mostly about how the cameras feel in your hand. Make sure to hold the camera before buying, try some out, see what feels right.

just got back from best buy, so i could get a feel of the cameras. I like the feel of the 30d over the 80d. So I am going to go with canon.

Now I just need to figure out what other lens to get. Are canon lenses the best or should I consider sigma, or just personal preference?
I was reading and some people say do not buy the camera with the lens kit, it this trye?

The lens kit lenses are not the highest quality of lenses. The best lenses you can buy for the Canon's are the "L" lenses. For example: 180mm F/3.5L macro lens. Read reviews of the lenses, there are a few Sigma lenses that I heard good things about, but the pro's use the "L" lenses for the most part.

Unless you have the worlds smallest hands, how the camera "feels" shouldn't really be the ultimate factor in a persons decision. Hit up DPreview for comparisons between the two cameras.

Unless you have the worlds smallest hands, how the camera "feels" shouldn't really be the ultimate factor in a persons decision. Hit up DPreview for comparisons between the two cameras.

You just did the exact opposite of what most do. Feel is a HUGE factor when choosing a system considered as the feature list is nearly identacle for all the systems out there, you want to shoot comfortably. Also, the 30D is said to be more comparable to the Nikon D200, so a 30D or a D80? The 30D wins this buyers heart.

Out of all the cameras I've held, I cant think of a single one that felt "right" - they all felt the same, or didn't have any kind of ergonomic advantage that would make me consider that over each individual cameras performance, which while they all may indeed snap pictures - some do some things better than others. The OP's only insight as to why he picked the Canon is due to its "feel" - so I, in my opinion, would only caution to him/her to wider those parameters beyond that.

I was originally leaning towards the canon because i read that it performed better in low light situations. I was later reading some posts elsewhere on the forum comparing different cameras and someone suggested holding the cameras to make sure it felt comfortable before buying.

Does the d30 perform better in low light? That is the primary reason I was choosing the d30, the feel was just a plus. I am so new to this so I am just going on what people are advising me so if I am off base please let me know.
Thanks

Also, the 30D is said to be more comparable to the Nikon D200, so a 30D or a D80? The 30D wins this buyers heart.

I thought I had read that somewhere!

What do you mean it performed better in low light? You mean the higher ISO's were cleaner and better looking?

I thought I had read that somewhere!

What do you mean it performed better in low light? You mean the higher ISO's were cleaner and better looking?
I didn't anyhting about noise, but yes, Canon has been said to beat Nikon in low light. the noise levels at higher ISOs is more contolled. This is due to Canon's CMOS sensor.

And Chado, you are buying cameras the right way, seems like you opted for features already, and now you're on the "what feels best" part.

thanks guys, you have been a lot of help

Does anyone have an opinion of this lens as a second lens to have as a non macro shooter?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-105mm-3-5-4-5-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00004YZQ8[/ame]

It looks like a decent lens. I have no personal experience but it seems a tad slow (low max aperture, lower numbers are higher values, this max aperture is 3.5 at the wide end, and 4.5 at the telephoto end, you wand something closer to 2.8 if possible). That is good for the price htough as the faster zooms cost significantly more. also, if you do go Canon, you have to get a 50mm 1.8($75) or 1.4(better but 4 times as much), it's the best way to get into "fast glass".

Actually, if you trust someone with such a low post count snatch up this L series imediately, you can get AMAZING photos from Canon's L glass.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88857

(she's selling it for only $500)

amazon is selling it for $675:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-40mm-Ultra-Angle-Cameras/dp/B00009R6WO[/ame]

Most reactions

Back