Help me understand what this is ?

i have a the similar red stripe on the right side of some horizontal shots by the way..

Compur's suggestion is good - load a roll of film, tape the side, and shoot the roll to see if there are any light leaks. Try to take pictures in brighter light to sort of push the issue a little. If no light gets through, then it's a sign that the seals were bad and they need to be replaced.

If your light leaks are on the right side of the picture, then you want to start by taping the left side of the camera where it latches. If you do need to reseal it, it's best to watch a couple of tutorials. Just quickly, though, looking at the back of the camera with the back open, look at the edge right where the back latches onto the camera. Do you see some ratty black foam-like stuff? Kinda sticky? That's where a typical camera would have a light seal and where you could put the felt after you clean it out.

Actually, I did a quick check, and it might be that the Ricoh R1 didn't use seals there on the edge, but there IS foam around that film indicator window. I saw this thread talking about the same sort of light leak you have: https://www.flickr.com/groups/37635144@N00/discuss/72157629678687161/ It's possible the light is coming from that window instead of the side of the camera. Looking at the picture you posted, that foam IS starting to look a little grody.

And check out this thread from a Ricoh forum to show you how to replace the seals around that film window if you don't want to tape over it: Ricoh Forum - View topic - Replacement window light seal foam

I'd say try taping the window first, see how that goes. If it solves the problem, either keep the tape on, or if you don't like how it looks or would like to be able to actually use that film window, then replace the foam. If it doesn't solve the problem, try taping the side.

Im gonna tape the window. The foam inside is all sticky and nearly gone. So i think that is the issue.
Thanks a lot Limr :) and everybody else who helped out.

Most reactions

Back