Help me use my D800

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of "I'm falling and I can't get up" commercials
bigthumb.gif

This thread is ridiculous.

Some college student drops more money on a camera then most of the grown ups in the room can afford to spend on a camera, asks for advice on how to turn on the auto mode, whines that he's not a spoiled rich kid[1], all the while posting pics of ferraris and sports cars in what looks to be a compound with high stone walls in some kind of faux-classical motif, complete with watermark.

If you want some heartfelt advice, sell the camera (since it's almost new you should get most of your money back) and go back to the D90 until you can learn shooting. OR grab a pentax K1000 off ebay, buy some black and white film, and develop it yourself. Buy an old Mamiya or Hasselblad, completely manual.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no other hobby or profession do people (misguidedly) believe to be easy...

Don't believe me? Just replace "Camera" with "scalpal" and "photography" with "surgery" in any n00b question.

"I just bought a really high quality scalpel, the best money can buy, but I can't figure out how to use it. Can you teach me surgery?"

Works with other things...

"I just bought the best nail gun money can buy, but I can't figure out how to make a building. Can you teach me?"

"I just bought a ferrari, but don't know how to shift gears. Can you teach me?"

And all of those sentences would only effect the insecure and bitter.

The advice here is asinine. Sell the virtually brand new D800 and lose out on money, and go back to learning on the D90?

Why not just learn on the D800? It would take probably 2 or 3 weeks tops to became sufficient in the technicalities and know the in's and outs.

And your comparison of a camera to a scalpel in surgery is just mind blowing.

Can I also just point out if the OP IS serious that posting pictures of such cars with personally identifiable information like license plates online may be a bad idea.

If it were, then license plates would be private.

This thread is ridiculous.

Some college student drops more money on a camera then most of the grown ups in the room can afford to spend on a camera, asks for advice on how to turn on the auto mode, whines that he's not a spoiled rich kid[1], all the while posting pics of ferraris and sports cars in what looks to be a compound with high stone walls in some kind of faux-classical motif, complete with watermark.

If you want some heartfelt advice, sell the camera (since it's almost new you should get most of your money back) and go back to the D90 until you can learn shooting. OR grab a pentax K1000 off ebay, buy some black and white film, and develop it yourself. Buy an old Mamiya or Hasselblad, completely manual.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no other hobby or profession do people (misguidedly) believe to be easy...

Don't believe me? Just replace "Camera" with "scalpal" and "photography" with "surgery" in any n00b question.

"I just bought a really high quality scalpel, the best money can buy, but I can't figure out how to use it. Can you teach me surgery?"

Works with other things...

"I just bought the best nail gun money can buy, but I can't figure out how to make a building. Can you teach me?"

"I just bought a ferrari, but don't know how to shift gears. Can you teach me?"

And all of those sentences would only effect the insecure and bitter.

The advice here is asinine. Sell the virtually brand new D800 and lose out on money, and go back to learning on the D90?

Why not just learn on the D800? It would take probably 2 or 3 weeks tops to became sufficient in the technicalities and know the in's and outs.

And your comparison of a camera to a scalpel in surgery is just mind blowing.

1. I learnt my photography skills on a film camera with no frills at all. Before autofocus came out so I had to learn. The camera had few controls. Manual, Aperture, or Speed priority, and exposure compensation. So I was forced to learn skills.
2. You still have to learn the same skills (and more now) so having possibly the best SLR in the world is a good thing to learn with.
3. Read the manual and also read the various forums, and get a book.
4. Consider the Nikon D800 course, only a few dollars compared with the camera and you will learn a lot faster.
5. To start with use P mode and set ISO to Max of 800. Then just change the aperture or speed so you can see what your actions have on aperture, speed and ISO. The camera will take good pictures just not the best while you are learning.
6. Learn how to hold the camera properly plenty of videos online.

Good luck

As I read this post I got the feeling the OP was trolling for attention and the "look what I got that you don't have".

I find if very funny that people talk about a camera like it is something dangerous like a noob with a high end camera is going to lose control and hurt someone. If they have the money to spend, by all means, spend it how you like.

Guys this thread is extremely old and long dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back