Help Needed ASAP Filter question

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I bought a D750 finally...and now i Just placed an order with B&H on a Cokin Pseries setup...
after purchasing the stuff i went on you tube and found some guy talking about Pseries being only good for mirrorless and crop sensor..

Is any one running cokin P series on a Full Frame Camera?
if so? any issues?

I am going on a hiking trip and want to resolve this issue before im stuck with nothing...
Looking forward to all the helpi can find, i called B&H and they said i dont need to worry but the guy didnt seem too eagered to help.

It doesn't matter a whit whether your camera is a mirrorless, full-frame or iPhone; what matters is the thread diameter of the largest lens you will use. I have no issue using 'P' size on 77mm lenses.

77mm is my kit lens on the d750 i just hope i don't end up buying something wider in diameter...
Do you have any issues with vignette on the corners?

do you think I should upgrade to the Zpro series? and be all set for future lenses?
Only problem is that a polarizer for the Zpro is about $700 and that sway too steep :eyebrows:

It depends on how much you're going to use them. If you're considering the Z Pro series than I'd look to Lee or Singh-Ray as there is a HUGE quality increase. Cokin is fine for occasional use.

very true...heard really good things about lee filters... Im just going to see what happens. i just hope that i dont experience too much of a vignette on the shots...hopefully i wont see any with a kit lens being a 24-120 mm

You'll be fine at 24mm and can usually correct in post.

I'm a big fan of 100mm square filters, no matter what focal length is used. I really wouldn't be without mine. If you get a filter holder from the filter dude (google it) you can get a holder that attaches a 105mm CPL to the outside. Should end up significantly cheaper than a square one and more functional IMO.

I'd upgrade to Lee filters as well if I couldn't get the Kood ones I currently have which are budget but very good filters.

I guess with cockin Pseries they are 84x84 ... I'm goin to stick with them and worst case scenario I'll end up using them on my crop sensor camera and get used to them and how to work them before I dish out money on lee filters lol... but according to tirediron I should be good with this lens... so fingers crossed... I'll give it a test run before the trip just to make sure

P series is HUGE for the 24-120mm zoom....there will be no vignetting.

Cokin gets a very bad rap. It's not without some issues, but today we have huge, easy,fast,precise software corrections that can be slapped onto image files.

I use the P Series on my 77mm lenses. Widest I have is 18mm on a 18-35.
You could always hand hold the filter up (unless your outer lens element is domed) if you are worried about vingetting. Otherwise get the larger $$ series.

P series is HUGE for the 24-120mm zoom....there will be no vignetting.

Cokin gets a very bad rap. It's not without some issues, but today we have huge, easy,fast,precise software corrections that can be slapped onto image files.
Yep, I have no complaints about mine for the price (but then I got 30+ 'P' size filters, sill in the box, multiple holders & adapter rings for $90 off of Craig's List! :D ), but there are two issues with them:

1. They are softer and will scratch more easily than Lee or Singh-Ray filters, but this just means being more careful; and

2. when using NDs/G-NDs and shooting at/toward the sun, they are prone to red casts. In most cases this is easily avoided or greatly reduced by shading the edges of the filter. I keep a 12"x12" piece of matte-black craft foam (Wal-mart <$1.00) in my bag to use as a lens shade.

Other than that, they're fine, and I haven't had any complaints.

, I have no complaints about mine for the price (but then I got 30+ 'P' size filters, sill in the box, multiple holders & adapter rings for $90 off of Craig's List! :D ), but there are two issues with them:.
$90 ??

:trink39: . . :Hail.sml:

, I have no complaints about mine for the price (but then I got 30+ 'P' size filters, sill in the box, multiple holders & adapter rings for $90 off of Craig's List! :D ), but there are two issues with them:.
$90 ??

:trink39: . . :Hail.sml:
That was about 5-6 years ago; I was already in the truck driving before the guy selling them had hung up the 'phone! :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their input... I definitely feel more at ease... just looked at the forecast and now my biggest worry will be keeping my fingers warm... it's supposed to be a high of 15 Fahrenheit...

To make matters worst it will be my girlfriends first time with an Slr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back