Help needed for assignment and we're in an open and and and is in (pretty urgent)

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by flying_kiwiruit, Oct 13, 2008.

1. flying_kiwiruit

flying_kiwiruit TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have to anaylze some photos for a Photography assignment due on the 31 of October, dont know what some of the things I need to talk about are though. The questions are

Make annotated notes to analyse the compositional structure, format, symmetry/asymmetry, diagonals, triangular, curviliner, vanishing points, view angel, weight and focal point.

Also comment on the following for one artist model
    Subject matter
    Lighting
    Equipment used
    Film ISO, paper surface,mm.lense used, aperture, shutter priority and possible settings (F. Stop and shutter speed), depth of field and focus point.
    Pictorial Elements, line, shape, pattern, rhythm, texture, tone, balance, contrast, movement, scale/proportion.
    Manipulaton Techniques- Multiple exposures, photogram, collage, photomontage, negative, scrathching, use of Photoshop (if applicable)
    Photographic Style - Straight black and white etc
    The atists intention - idea/s behind the photograph, polictical, social, documentary, propaganda, art gernerated, personal, a combination
    Genre

If anyone would be willing to get a photograph and do this anaylze on it, explaining what things mean and how to do everything, it would be so appreciated, even if you only do some of it, any would be helpful.

Nat

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I can't help feeling that you are going to get a nil response on this. It's difficult to believe that you are doing a course where you don't have set material or lectures that explain the terms and techniques for you - I know I did. When we were asked a similar type of question, we we're asked to use random selections from flickr as raw material - essentially photos we liked.

The whole point of doing this question is that you are learning what is meant by the terms mentioned and applying your own thinking to their use by other photographers. If the good people here do that for you, what are you going to learn other than copy and paste?

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ my thoughts exactly

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    agreed - at your best you might be able to ask people here if they could provide some photo settings details for ones that you have selected - especially as traditional appears to be your question area (and traditional shots don't have exif ;))

5. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree completely!!! :soapbox:

He already learned cut & paste. Look at his post. :lol: :lmao:

hehe :D

6. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Best I can do for you is offer this image to do your homework on.

Please do some of the assignment then post your answers for us to evaluate.

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^ interesting pic.... my first comment on this pic would be that your horizon is off.. first i thought is was the boat leaning, but then i took my laptop off my lap and onto a flat surface, and found that the whole image is leaning to the left... i'll send you a bill for all the water that you spilled onto my macbook

8. DeadEye

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry about the dip in the ocean. Yep thats the first thing he should notice, and the (stripped camera data file ~ hehe).

9. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Was that edited with a PS plugin? I think I recognize it, but I can't remember the name.

10. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you need to do your own homework.

i am sure your insturctor would be interested to see how you did your own research. in my class it would be called an F

11. DeadEye

Photos OK to edit

Its name is 82 , its a 3 exp. hdr converted to B&W.

12. flying_kiwiruit

flying_kiwiruit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although you may find it hard to believe, thats exactly what I ave got. I'm only in High School, and i take Photography as a subject, We are given a massive assignment and told to do it, we are not given any other materials because it is assumed we know these things, but however I wasnt taught some of this ever. I have 6 photos to anaylze, they are already picked and glued into my workbook, I just don't know how to ananylze them, because I dont understand some of the language in the question, I understand some of it but not all of it.

The things I dont understand are

Make annotated notes to analyse the symmetry/asymmetry, diagonals, triangular, curviliner, vanishing points, view angel, weight. (I dont know what any of these terms actually mean, and have never been told so)

Also comment on the following for one artist model
    Film ISO, paper surface,mm.lense used, aperture, shutter priority and possible settings (F. Stop and shutter speed), depth of field. (I dont get how we are meant to get all of this from looking at a photo we didnt take)
    Pictorial Elements, line, shape, pattern, rhythm, texture, tone, balance, contrast, movement, scale/proportion. (this is the one that I go huh on)
    Manipulaton Techniques- Multiple exposures, photogram, collage, photomontage, negative, scrathching, use of Photoshop (if applicable) (once again dont get how I suppose to know this stuff by just looking at a photo)
    The atists intention - idea/s behind the photograph, polictical, social, documentary, propaganda, art gernerated, personal, a combination
    Genre (Um I never took the photo how am I suppose to know the artist idea behind it)

Please someone help, if dont pass this course, I dont get into my degree next year. I really want to get into this degree too, but I dont have the time to reaserch all of these, as well as keep up in my other classes.