Help needed on new glass please

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I recently upgraded to a D750 and I bought the kit lens 24-120 mm ... although it's a great lens I am looking to buy a nice piece of glass without getting broke...
any help will be awesome

Looking to buy a lens that I can do Milky Way shots but also be able to use it for street photography... might be asking for too much but is it possible to get one that meets both aspects?

Budget?

Also, anything that is wide enough for milky way shots AND long enough for street photography is likely going to be either a cheap-ish standard zoom lens or VERY expensive. Jack of all trades, master of none.

You're just better off getting 2 lenses here, financially and practically. Once you provide a budget we can give you some options.

Destin said:
Budget?

Also, anything that is wide enough for milky way shots AND long enough for street photography is likely going to be either a cheap-ish standard zoom lens or VERY expensive. Jack of all trades, master of none.

You're just better off getting 2 lenses here, financially and practically. Once you provide a budget we can give you some options.

He might be under 40....but this Destin guy gets photography. You WANT a lens that can LEVERAGE that D750. For street/travel/weekend use there is little that is better than a 24-85, or a 28-105 AF-D, or...a 24-120. handy. The right lengths for so many situations.

I was at the library a month ago, and saw a book by the (in(fanous Bryan Peterson, with hundreds of fine street/travel shots made with the 70-300 VR Nikkor, and the 24-85 Nikkor, with D3x, D800,D810, so, 24 to 36-MP Nikon cams. There have been mulktiple 24-85mm lenses by Nikon, over the last 25 years,

For stars? Look for a prime lens with good coma correction.

Budget?

I'm trying to stay under $1000 as I am also buying a Lee set-up with filters...
my current lens is a 24-120 mm it's really sharp believe it or not... not disappointed with it at all...

I am currently looking at the 18-35 mm but it's a f3.5-4.5 so this might not be the best

What do you guys think?

Destin said:
Budget?

He might be under 40....but this Destin guy gets photography. You WANT a lens that can LEVERAGE that D750. For street/travel/weekend use there is little that is better than a 24-85, or a 28-105 AF-D, or...a 24-120. handy. The right lengths for so many situations.

I was at the library a month ago, and saw a book by the (in(fanous Bryan Peterson, with hundreds of fine street/travel shots made with the 70-300 VR Nikkor, and the 24-85 Nikkor, with D3x, D800,D810, so, 24 to 36-MP Nikon cams. There have been mulktiple 24-85mm lenses by Nikon, over the last 25 years,

For stars? Look for a prime lens with good coma correction.

I mostly do landscape so the kit lens will help with the street photography part for now
I also have the Nikon Vr Zoom 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 so that covers across the puddles

Tamron 15-30 if your budget has no ceiling. Rokinon/Samyang primes if you're tight. There are some other good options, like the Nikon 18-35, but you kinda need 2.8 to shoot stars.

Sounds like the 28mm 1.8G would be perfect.

I just bought one and it's awesome. Its wide enough to do milky way shots (for some people anyways) but it doesn't have the greatest coma correction but that isn't going to stop me from using it!! I've used WAY worse, Its not as good as the new 20 1.8G but being that it's 28mm it would work better for street photography than the 20mm would. I mean, it's really a compromise lens.

Other option is to get the 20 1.8G for astrophotography and pick up a 35 f/2D for street photography.

\
He might be under 40....but this Destin guy gets photography.

Thanks Derrel! That means alot coming from a senior guy on here like you haha

OP- For just one lens under $1000 I'd have to strongly consider the sigma 24mm 1.4 ART lens. You can check it out on their website right here.

Again, at 24mm we're compromising for both street and landscape photography. It'll be able to do both no doubt, but realistically you'd be better off with a kit consisting of something like:

Landscape: Nikon 20mm 1.8G

Street: Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Look around for used deals or sales and you can get both of those lenses for under $1000 and have a damn solid kit for landscape and street photography.

Disclaimer: I've never used the 20mm 1.8g and can't vouch for it, but being a high end prime from Nikon I wouldn't hesitate to buy it on a leap of faith. I have the 50mm and LOVE it.

How about the Nikon 35mm 1.8G ED
This is an extremely sharp lens, not too expensive, sharp (I know I said it twice but its really sharp LOL)
Worth considering.

I own it, use it on my D750 and it never stops to amaze me.
It sounds like its the DX 35mm but its not, not even close, very different design and its an FX lens.

\
He might be under 40....but this Destin guy gets photography.

Thanks Derrel! That means alot coming from a senior guy on here like you haha

OP- For just one lens under $1000 I'd have to strongly consider the sigma 24mm 1.4 ART lens. You can check it out on their website right here.

Again, at 24mm we're compromising for both street and landscape photography. It'll be able to do both no doubt, but realistically you'd be better off with a kit consisting of something like:

Landscape: Nikon 20mm 1.8G

Street: Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Look around for used deals or sales and you can get both of those lenses for under $1000 and have a damn solid kit for landscape and street photography.

Disclaimer: I've never used the 20mm 1.8g and can't vouch for it, but being a high end prime from Nikon I wouldn't hesitate to buy it on a leap of faith. I have the 50mm and LOVE it.

I'm always worried about buying used glass cause I never know what the previous owner did to them... how he cleaned it, mold etc... but I'm definitely going to check the 20mm and the 50mm right now as I'm typing this... really appreciate all the input I'll check sigma as well

How about the Nikon 35mm 1.8G ED
This is an extremely sharp lens, not too expensive, sharp (I know I said it twice but its really sharp LOL)
Worth considering.

I own it, use it on my D750 and it never stops to amaze me.
It sounds like its the DX 35mm but its not, not even close, very different design and its an FX lens.

I actually have the Dx 35mm for my crop sensor beater... it is really sharp but I didn't hear great things about the Fx version... what's your personal experience with it? Any shots you can post ??

I'm always worried about buying used glass cause I never know what the previous owner did to them... how he cleaned it, mold etc... but I'm definitely going to check the 20mm and the 50mm right now as I'm typing this... really appreciate all the input I'll check sigma as well

Honestly, I'm not a big advocate of buying many things used. But lenses are an exception. I buy almost all of my glass used and I've never had a single problem doing so.

To each their own. But if you buy used from a reputable dealer, refurbed from nikon, or even from an eBay seller with clear pictures and a good track record.. well you're usually pretty safe.

Honestly, I'm not a big advocate of buying many things used. But lenses are an exception. I buy almost all of my glass used and I've never had a single problem doing so.

To each their own. But if you buy used from a reputable dealer, refurbed from nikon, or even from an eBay seller with clear pictures and a good track record.. well you're usually pretty safe.
All of my lenses were purchased used as well. Never had any issues.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I have bought the majority of my lenses used, but I've bought some brand-new as well. Nowadays, with digital, it has NEVER been easier to actually test out a lens, and have images to review within seconds. And to have a BIG, size-of-a-door image, to pixel-peep on. When you look at the up-scaled size of images from a 24MP camera, you have a very big image. Defects can be seen easily at 100% pixel size.

Most reactions

Back