Help needed with choosing the right DSLR

jachym.czech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own Canon 350D and I decided to upgrade to a newer model. However, I cannot decide, which camera would best suit my needs. Basically I shoot mostly Macro and own the excellent Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

I am considering the following:
- the new Canon EOS 500D
- the older model, but from the higher class - Canon EOS 40D
- or maybe the new Canon EOS 50D.

Now obviously, 50D is probably the best, but it is also the most expensive. Since the 40D is an older generation, in terms of price it is basically same as that of the 500D. I researched the differences and basically the 500D has 15Mpx instead of 10 (40D) and other useful features - but still, the 40D is a semi-pro model.

I read that Mpx only matter if you have a good lens and crop images, but I think that I actually do have a good lens that could make use of the extra 5Mpx and for macro, crops are often useful.

Have that said, would it also be better to pay extra and instead of 40D purchase the 50D? I read some comparisons and it is hard to tell if it is worth it, but the few advantages of the new 50D might be useful for macro.

The 500D is cheaper than the 50D, same price as the 40D.

I would like to know what you think and what are your experiences and opinions.

I believe the question will be what feature(s) you like to have with your new camera that your current camera do not have.

If it is movie capture, then there is a clear winner here.

For other features, you may want to see which one is more important to you. (i.e. cost, speed, Mpix ....) As for photo quality wise, I believe the end result will be some what the same.

I dont really care about the video feature, what matters to me most is image quality for macro. Will it be useful to have that extra 5Mpx? I read it is useful if you have a good lens, which I believe I have, but would I notice any difference when doing macro shots and possibly cropping the image? Speed is also not much important, most of my pictures I make with a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back