Help Needed With Night Pics

MarkA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to know how to make the light in these pics less noisy. They were taken with a Sony DSC-W70 (point & shoot) so the shutter speed & aperture are automatic. I always thought the higher the ISO, the more noise hence setting them low. Any help would be appreciated.

Any other C & C welcome.

ISO 200, Shutter speed 1/1.6 sec F2.8
Night1.jpg

ISO 400 Shutter speed 1/4 sec F2.8
Night2.jpg

P&S is the answer......

Even at low ISOs the P&S are horrible. The small sensor means you have to magnify the image much more than on a DSLR - so more noise.

I also don't understand 1/1.6 secs = 0.625 sec??

You need a tripod, shoot in Av mode if you can - select an aperture around f16 (if you can) and let the camera choose the shutter speed.

Cheers
Jim

I'm sure your smallest aperture is only f8 ... am I right, Mark?
But make sure you set that for night photography. Exposure time will increase a lot, of course, so a tripod will become vital, but with the low ISO and small aperture your results should instantly become better. The lights will look less "big", less "shining", less "blob-by".

Thank you both for your replies.

The smallest aperture is f5.2 (it's auto hence taking these at f2.8) and the slowest shutter speed is 2 secs so I guess this won't be enough to get these shots successfully. I think I will start saving for an SLR :)

Could this be Footdee by any chance, old Aberdeen is a good spot too and yes you need to save up for an SLR for better night shots/control over settings, but not too bad anyway.

Thanks Harry. Footdee, spot on, I only found it by accident that night whilst taking pictures of the harbour. I will definately be back there, with or without an SLR!

Well, Mark... this place looks like - if you stay with your ISO 200 - you can get a decent night view at 2 seconds exposure and the smallest aperture your camera offers you. I would think it might work at f5.2 - that still is not really small, but if that is all you can get, then use it.

Or at least give it a try.
Get to setting the camera yourself instead of letting the camera choose its settings. Maybe so far your options are limited, but you can still try to make the most with what you have.

Looking at my camera, I think this time I will actually use the program setting on 'twilight' mode as it keeps the ISO down to 100 with (up to) a 2 second shutter speed. I'm not sure what the aperture will be though, and can't adjust it.

Most reactions

Back