Help! Negotiating a Price for usage at a Hotel.

Reaction score
Website
robertscottphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm venturing into a market that I have absolutely no experience in, but I have a major Hotel asking me to quote them a price for prints to use in their rooms.

The photographs will literally only be used in the rooms, and not in any of their print advertising.

I've read information on a bunch of web-sites about pricing structures, but I'm still relatively lost on where to go from here. I've requested more information on their use of my work in the hotel (how many prints, how long they'll be displayed), but I really need some advice to get me going here!

HELP!

If it is a hotel that sells everything in the room count your blessings! I've been to a few places that have catalogs for almost everything in room so people can buy it and have it shipped to their home.

When you say prints, do you mean rights to an image or prints as in something that is matted and framed?

Are they looking for exclusive rights?

Non-Exclusive rights, and the rights to print themselves. I'm pretty sure that they don't sell off the items in the rooms, but that would be a great scenario!

So the license would state that they're allowed to make as many prints from the originals as they want, but the only use is for framing and hanging in the Hotel itself. I'll have no control over how many of them will be printed.

Any other info I can supply that would help?

When you read around and people say that figuring out your pricing is one of the hardest things you'll do as a photographer, I can see now that they were absolutely right!

The first thing that I would want to know is, how many hotels, how many rooms, and how many future hotels/rooms are currently in the works.

It's just one Hotel with about 70 rooms, this is only a town of about 50,000 people. They will only be in the one Hotel, although we've talked about outfitting the 2 other Hotels that this family owns in the area.

So far, we're only talking about the one though.

if your license includes printing as many as they want themselves then you can be sure they'll be selling them to customers, I'd rephrase the license so you will do any reprints/enlargements and they'll get a share of the deal, also that the hotel must include your name and contact details, giving them reprint rights is the same as signing away your copyright as far as I'm concerned. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back